You are here:
  • Dienstleistungen
  • Apply for a green firearms possession card for a single person

Apply for a green firearms possession card for a single person

If you wish to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition that require a permit, you must apply for a permit from the relevant weapons authority.

You must always apply for a green gun ownership card if you wish to acquire a weapon that requires a permit (e.g. by purchasing it from a dealer) and cannot meet the special requirements for the issue of a yellow or red gun ownership card. If you meet all the application requirements, you will be issued a green firearms possession card and a purchase permit (a so-called preliminary entry) will be entered on it. If you already have a gun possession card, further weapons can be entered there. The permit to purchase a weapon is issued for a period of one year, the permit to possess a weapon is usually issued for an unlimited period.

As a rule, sport shooters may only acquire two weapons within six months.

If, as a hunter, you have already acquired a long gun that requires a permit, you must report the acquisition within 14 days and, if you do not yet have a gun ownership card, apply for one to be issued. If you already have a gun ownership card, you must apply for the acquired weapon to be entered on the gun ownership card together with the notification of acquisition.

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of firearms law before submitting your application.

In order to obtain a green gun ownership card, you must prove the following:

  • be of the appropriate age and
  • prove your need,
  • be reliable under firearms law and
  • personal suitability,
  • your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition and
  • the safe storage of weapons and ammunition


  • You must be at least 18 years old.

    The following applies to marksmen

    • a minimum age of 18 years for the purchase of
      • Firearms up to a caliber of 5.6 mm lfB (.22 l.r.) for rimfire ammunition, if the muzzle energy of the projectiles is 200 joules or less, and
      • Single-shot long guns with smooth barrels with caliber 12 or smaller, provided that sport shooting with such weapons is permitted by the approved sporting regulations of a shooting sports association (§ 14 para. 1 sentence 2 WaffG)
    • a minimum age of 21 years for other (large-caliber) firearms.

If you are under 25 years of age, you will be asked by the relevant firearms authority to submit a specialist medical or psychological report/certificate on your mental aptitude. You must pay for the certificate yourself and send the original by post to the relevant firearms authority.

The obligation to submit a certificate of mental aptitude does not apply to hunters and marksmen who only wish to acquire the weapons listed in Section 14 (1) sentence 2 WaffG.

  • You must prove that you have a special personal or economic interest to be recognized in acquiring and possessing weapons and ammunition (need). Such an interest is generally recognized if
    • you are a hunter and can credibly demonstrate that you need the firearms and ammunition for hunting.
    • You have been a member of a sports club that is a member of a recognized shooting sports association for one year and the weapon to be purchased is approved for a sporting discipline in accordance with the sporting regulations of the shooting sports association. You must also prove that you have practiced shooting sports regularly in the past twelve months (at least once a month or at least 18 times within a year).
    • your life is at great risk.
    • you can credibly demonstrate other reasons why you wish to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition.
  • You must be reliable under firearms law.

    You may be deemed unreliable under firearms law if, among other things:

    • you have been sentenced to at least one year's imprisonment within the last 10 years or have been a member of or supported a prohibited organization in the last 10 years.
    • it can be assumed that you misuse weapons or ammunition or handle them improperly, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • you have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
    • you have repeatedly or grossly violated the Weapons Act.
  • You must be personally suitable.

    You may be assessed as personally unsuitable if, among other things:

    • You are legally incompetent.
    • You are dependent on alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or mentally retarded.
    • you suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that you do not handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or cannot store these items carefully or that there is a concrete danger that you will endanger others or yourself.
  • You must prove that you have sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expertise).

    In order to be able to prove your expertise in handling weapons and ammunition, you must have taken part in a corresponding course. The course comprises a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, you will take an examination before an authorized examination board. If you pass the examination, you will receive proof of the weapons and ammunition for which you have acquired the certificate of competence. You can also obtain the certificate of competence only for the weapons and ammunition that you wish to acquire and possess.

You can also prove your expertise by passing a hunting examination.

  • You must prove that you can store weapons and ammunition safely.

    This generally means that only you as an authorized person may have access to weapons and ammunition. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition safely, you are committing an administrative offense for which a fine of up to EUR 10,000 can be imposed. In addition, your reliability under firearms law may be called into question and your firearms possession card may be withdrawn.

    When submitting your application, you must provide information on the storage location and the container in which you wish to store weapons and ammunition. The storage requirements are based on § 13 of the General Weapons Act Ordinance (AWaffV). In cases of doubt, please contact the authority responsible for you. In principle, you can use the following guidelines as a guide:

  • Ammunition requiring a permit must be stored in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock or an equivalent locking device.
  • You need a gun cabinet to store long guns and handguns that require a permit. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you wish to purchase and own.
    • You can store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard weighing up to 200 kilograms.
    • You may store an unlimited number of long weapons, up to 10 short weapons and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard weighing over 200 kilograms.
    • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade I in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard, you may store an unlimited number of long weapons and handguns as well as ammunition.
  • The following regulations apply to the location in which you may set up the gun cabinet:
    • You may also store up to three long guns in buildings that are not permanently inhabited, such as a hunting lodge or a weekend house. However, you need a gun cabinet with resistance grade I for this.
    • If you live in a shared household with another person who is also entitled to own weapons, you may store the weapons in a shared weapons cabinet.
  • It is also permitted to store weapons and ammunition with a weapons dealer. You must provide appropriate proof of this.

What documents do I need?

  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Certificate from the shooting sports association, hunting license, proof of endangerment or proof of another need to possess weapons
  • Certificate of competence
  • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of the gun cabinet and installation site
  • If applicable, a specialist medical or psychological certificate confirming your mental aptitude (if under 25 years of age)