You are here:

Apply for an international driver's license

In countries that are not part of the EU, an international driver's license is required for temporary stays.

International driving licenses are required for temporary stays in a country that is not part of the EU.

The international driving license is only a translation of the national EU driving license and therefore only valid in conjunction with it.


  • Possession of a valid EU driving license or
  • Possession of a valid foreign permit to drive motor vehicles in accordance with § 29 of the Driving Permit Ordinance (FeV).
  • Residence
    - in Bremen or
    - in a state that has not ratified the Convention on Road Traffic of 08.11.1968.

Important: This is a service under municipal jurisdiction. Therefore, you can only visit a service that is located in your place of residence.

What documents do I need?

  • Identity card or passport
  • Driving licence
  • Passport photo

    according to the photo sample board

  • In addition, an index card copy from the driving licence office that issued the current driving licence, if the driving licence was issued outside Bremen before 1999
  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.