You are here:

Apply for help for young adults

Young adults sometimes have difficulties living independently and without help from others. For people between the ages of 18 and 27, there is so-called "assistance for young adults" from the youth welfare office.

The "assistance for young adults" includes various services that are suitable for young adults. The assistance is intended to help people between 18 and 21 to lead a life of personal responsibility and self-determination. When an application is made, it is examined which assistance is appropriate in the individual case.

Once the age of 21 has been reached, there may be continuation assistance in justified individual cases.

The Youth Welfare Office offers different, individual support. The support is oriented towards:

  • Personal goals
  • Wishes
  • Skills
  • Resources

Resources can be: the environment, friends and family.

Pedagogical specialists accompany the person to cope with everyday problems and help to develop a perspective. It does not matter whether the person lives with their parents, in their own apartment or in a residential group.

The following forms exist:

  • Educational assistance - one person provides support in everyday life.
  • Intensive socio-pedagogical individual support, in order to solve personal crises most and problems more and more by yourself.
  • Home education - care in an institution outside the parental home.
  • Assisted living - the way to an independent life within one's own 4 walls
  • Integration assistance for young adults with a (threatening) mental disability.

Young people who have already received help from the Youth Welfare Office before they reached the age of majority and would like to continue to receive this help must apply for help for young adults themselves. Previously, the legal guardians (parents or guardians) were eligible.


  • They are between 18 and 21 years old. In justified individual cases, assistance can also be granted up to the age of 27 if the assistance has already been started beforehand.
  • Due to your personality development, you are not able to lead a self-determined, self-reliant and independent life.
  • Assistance is suitable and necessary. This is checked by the youth welfare office.
  • If you have a (threatening) mental disability, you will need a specialist medical opinion if you want to apply for integration assistance for young adults. The youth welfare office can obtain this with your consent.

What documents do I need?

  • identity card/passport

    If a German identity card/passport is to be authenticated, a written proof of what this authentication is required for must be brought along.