You are here:

Apply for identity card - provisional

Please note that we release short-term appointments for all BürgerServiceCenters between 7 and 9 a.m. every day. If you are unable to find a suitable appointment, please check this page again during this time slot.

Has your ID card been lost or expired and you need a new one? Then you can apply for a temporary ID card at the BürgerServiceCenters to bridge the time until your new ID card is issued.

In order to bridge the time until the issuance of the identity card, the BürgerService facilities of the Bürgeramt can issue a temporary identity card if required.

A temporary ID card can be issued for a maximum period of validity of three months and cannot be extended.


  • German citizenship

What documents do I need?

  • Proof of identity

    e.g. old or invalid identity card, valid (child) passport or birth certificate in the case of infants or young children who do not yet have a (child) passport or identity card.

  • 1 current biometric passport photo according to the photo sample board (not older than three months)
  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.
  • For children under 16 years of age:

    Special declaration of consent (explicitly related to the issuing of the identity card) of the person with custody, as well as their identity cards (also copies) and, if applicable, proof of custody.

  • Proof of custody

    with a single guardian