You are here:

Apply for subsidy for infertility treatment

Do you have an unfulfilled desire to have children? Couples can get financial support for infertility treatment.

If you as a couple have an unfulfilled desire to have a child, you can apply for a state subsidy for the costs of fertility treatment. You must apply together as a couple and before the start of treatment. You will need to submit various supporting documents with the application.
The subsidy is available up to a maximum of the fourth treatment attempt. Exactly which treatment cycles are subsidized may vary from state to state. You must apply for the subsidy for each treatment attempt individually.
Only certain types of treatment are supported:

  • In vitro fertilization (IVF).
  • Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).

The necessity of the treatment must be certified by a medical doctor.

You can apply for the fertility treatment grant through the online service or in paper form. If you meet all the requirements, you will receive a preliminary grant decision. The reproduction facility will receive a copy of the notice.
After you receive the preliminary grant decision, have the fertility treatment performed within half a year. After the treatment, you will have to apply for the final approval and payment of the grant.


Only couples are eligible. One of them must be a woman or a person who has female reproductive organs and is to carry the child to be conceived.

The following couples are eligible:

  • Different-sex, same-sex or diverse married couples.
  • Same-sex domestic partner:s living together under the Domestic Partnership Act.
  • Different-sex, same-sex or diverse couples living in a non-marital partnership.

You must also meet the following requirements:

  • You live in Bremen (main residence) at the time of application and treatment.
  • The age of the person who is to become pregnant is between 25 and 40.
  • The age of the other person is between 25 and 50 years.
  • The treatment takes place in a reproduction facility in Bremen or Lower Saxony.
  • You have a medical determination of infertility.
  • You meet the requirements for artificial insemination according to § 27a of the Fifth Social Code (SGB V) - if applicable.

What documents do I need?

  • Joint written statement
    • The declaration is part of the application form.
    • They declare that they are involuntarily childless.
    • You declare that you are not permanently separated.
    • You declare that the treatment has not yet been started.
  • Identity cards and, if applicable, current registration certificates or residence titles
  • Treatment plan
    • In the case of statutory health insurance: approved treatment plan for assisted reproduction measures in accordance with § 27a SGB V. This also includes a medical statement on the necessity of the measure.
    • In the case of private health insurance or a subsidy agency: treatment plan from the physician. In addition, the cost assumption declaration and a medical declaration on the necessity of the measure.
  • Cost estimate
    • In case of non-support by the statutory health insurance or medical care
  • Cost absorption declaration
    • If subsidized by statutory or private health insurance or by allowance or medical assistance
  • Medical statement on the necessity of the measure
    • At the 4th treatment cycle.
    • If subsidized by private health insurance, allowance or medical care.
    • For same-sex couples.
    • For unmarried couples.
  • Negative certificate of the health insurance company
    • In case of non-subsidization by the health insurance
  • Proof of a permanent civil partnership
    • For unmarried couples.
  • Evidence of counseling on the medical, psychological and social aspects of infertility treatment.