You are here:

Applying for a gun ownership card for a shooting club

If you want to acquire and possess weapons and/or ammunition as a shooting club, you must apply for a permit from the relevant weapons authority.

If you wish to purchase firearms requiring a permit for a shooting club, you can apply for the required firearms possession card to be issued to the club rather than to you personally.

You must nominate a responsible person for this who must be reliable and personally suitable in terms of firearms law and who can provide evidence of the necessary expertise. This person does not have to be authorized to represent the club, i.e. not a member of the board, for example. If the responsible person leaves the association, you must inform the competent authority immediately and appoint a new responsible person within 2 weeks. Otherwise, the competent authority will revoke your permit to purchase and possess weapons (weapons possession card).

It is recommended that you inform yourself in detail about the regulations of firearms law before submitting your application.

In order to obtain permission to acquire and possess weapons and ammunition that require a permit, the club must be a member of a recognized shooting sports association and be entered in the register of associations. You must also provide evidence of the safe storage of weapons and ammunition. The responsible person appointed by you must prove the following:

  • be of the appropriate age and
  • be reliable in terms of firearms law and
  • be personally suitable and
  • their expertise in handling weapons and ammunition


  • The association must be entered in the register of associations.
  • The person responsible must be at least 21 years old.

    If the person responsible is under 25 years of age, they will be asked by the competent weapons authority to submit a specialist medical or specialist psychological report/certificate on their mental aptitude. The responsible person must pay for the report/certificate themselves and send the original by post to the competent weapons authority.

  • The responsible person must be reliable under firearms law.

    The responsible person may be deemed unreliable under firearms law, among other things,

    • if they have been sentenced to a prison sentence of at least 1 year within the last 10 years or have been a member of or supported a prohibited organization in the last 10 years.
    • if it can be assumed that they misuse weapons or ammunition or handle them improperly, do not store these items carefully or hand them over to persons who are not authorized to do so.
    • if they have been in preventive police custody more than once in the last 5 years with judicial authorization due to violence.
    • if they have repeatedly or grossly violated firearms legislation.
  • The person responsible must be personally suitable.

    The responsible person may be deemed personally unsuitable if, among other things

    • they are legally incompetent.
    • they are dependent on alcohol or other intoxicating substances, mentally ill or mentally retarded.
    • they suffer from serious illnesses, such as brain injuries, or physical impairments, such as amputations or severe visual impairment.
    • it can be assumed that they cannot handle weapons or ammunition carefully or properly or cannot store these objects carefully or that there is a concrete danger that they will endanger others or themselves.
  • The person responsible must prove that they have sufficient knowledge of weapons and ammunition and how to handle them (expertise).

    In order to be able to prove their expertise in handling weapons and ammunition, they must have taken part in an appropriate training course. The course comprises a theoretical and practical part. At the end of the course, an examination is taken before an authorized examination board. If the examination is passed, the responsible person receives proof of the weapons and ammunition for which the certificate of competence has been acquired. The responsible person can also only obtain the certificate of competence for the weapons and ammunition that the shooting club wishes to acquire and possess.

  • You must prove that you can store weapons and ammunition safely.

    You must store weapons and ammunition safely. This generally means that only the person responsible has access to weapons and ammunition, for example by carrying the key with them at all times or keeping it safe in some other way. If you do not store your weapons and ammunition securely, you are committing an administrative offense for which a fine of up to EUR 10,000 can be imposed. In addition, this may cast doubt on the reliability of the person responsible under firearms law and the club's firearms possession card may be withdrawn.

    When submitting the application, you must provide information on the storage location as well as the container in which you wish to store weapons and ammunition. The storage requirements are based on § 13 of the General Weapons Act Ordinance (AWaffV). In cases of doubt, please contact the authority responsible for you.
    In principle, you can use the following guidelines as a guide:

  • You must store ammunition requiring a permit in a sheet steel cabinet/container with a swing bolt lock or an equivalent locking device.
  • You need a gun cabinet to store long guns and handguns that require a permit. The type of gun cabinet you need depends on the number and type of weapons and/or ammunition you wish to purchase and own.
    • You can store an unlimited number of long guns, up to 5 handguns and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard weighing up to 200 kilograms.
    • You may store an unlimited number of long weapons, up to 10 short weapons and ammunition in a gun cabinet with resistance grade 0 in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard weighing over 200 kilograms.
    • In a gun cabinet with resistance grade I in accordance with the DIN/EN 1143-1 standard, you may store an unlimited number of long weapons and handguns as well as ammunition.
  • The following basic rule applies to the location where you may set up the gun cabinet: If you live in a shared household with another person who is also authorized to own weapons, you may store the weapons in a shared gun cabinet.
  • It is also permitted to store weapons and ammunition with a weapons dealer. You must provide appropriate proof of this.

What documents do I need?

  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Extract from the register of associations
  • Proof of expertise (responsible person)
  • Proof of storage, e.g. purchase contract for a gun cabinet and/or photos of the gun cabinet and installation site
  • Specialist medical or psychological certificate confirming the mental aptitude of the person responsible
    • If under 25 years