You are here:

Applying for a residence permit after entry with visa

You have entered Germany with a visa and would like to apply for a residence permit?

Please note the following points:

Please note that, in principle, a residence title can only be issued if you have entered the country with the required national visa or if you have a corresponding exemption from the visa requirement.

Exceptions exist for the following countries: Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, USA, Republic of Korea.

For the issuance of a residence permit, you must appear in person at the Migration Office. However, this is only possible in the "Entry" department with an appointment. To request an appointment, please fill out the form "Vordruck Terminvergabe Einreise" (see under Forms) and send it by e-mail to

Alternatively, you can also send us your appointment request by mail or fax. We will send your appointment as soon as possible to the contact details you provided.

If you have entered Germany without the required visa and need to stay in Germany due to a special personal/family emergency, please contact us immediately by e-mail and request an appointment, stating the reasons: