You are here:

Applying for a short-term registration number

If you would like to carry out test drives or transfer drives with an unregistered vehicle, you will need a short-term license plate for this purpose. It begins with the number "03" or "04".

The registration authorities allocate short-term license plates in accordance with Section 16a (1) of the German Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV).

The short-term license plate entitles the holder to the following journeys:

  • Test drives:
    Journeys to determine and prove the serviceability of the vehicle (§ 2 No. 23 FZV).
  • Transfer journeys:
    Journeys to transfer the vehicle to another location (§ 2 No. 25 FZV).

More detailed information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure:


  • The applicant's main residence or place of business is in Bremen or the location of the vehicle for which the short-term license plate is to be applied for is in Bremen. (Note: Location must be proven by written purchase contract).
  • The vehicle must be immobilized and have a valid general inspection.

Driving with a short-term license plate without a valid main inspection is only possible in the following cases:

  • To carry out a general inspection or obtain an operating permit to the nearest inspection or assessment center in the registration district or adjacent district and back.
  • To the nearest repair shop in the registration district or in an adjoining district and back for the immediate repair of significant or minor defects found. This does not apply to vehicles determined to be unsafe for road use during inspection.

What documents do I need?

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit
  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    Additionally: identity card or passport of the authorized person

  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Certificate of registration Part I or Part II (alternatively, a current report for obtaining a type approval or chain of custody document)

    Original, no copy

  • valid test report on a general inspection


  • if registered to companies

    - Current and valid business registration and, if available, current and valid excerpt from the commercial register (also as a copy)
    - Power of attorney, if the person authorized to dispose does not personally submit the application on site