You are here:

Applying for a temporary passport

If a passport - even "express" (within 3-4 days) - can no longer be issued in time before departure, you can obtain a temporary passport.

The temporary passport is generally only issued in connection with the application for a "normal" passport.


Since 12.12.2005 it must be machine-readable. As a rule, a temporary ID card is only issued if a new passport (ePassport) is applied for or has already been applied for at the same time. In very special exceptional cases (e.g. if an elderly person proves that the passport is only needed for a single trip abroad), only a temporary passport can be issued.

If the applicant is not yet 18 years of age or if a guardian (for the determination of residence) has been appointed for him/her, all legal guardians must agree to the issuing of the provisional passport, but in any case the parent with custody, with whom the child is lawfully (with the consent of the other parent or on the basis of a court decision) habitually resident.

Important: This is a service under municipal jurisdiction. Therefore, you can only go to an office located in your place of residence.

What documents do I need?

  • Proof of identity

    e.g. old or invalid identity card, valid (child) passport or birth certificate in the case of infants or young children who do not yet have a (child) passport or identity card.

  • 1 current biometric passport photo according to the photo sample board (not older than three months)
  • Declaration of consent by the person with custody

    as well as their identity cards (also copies) and, if applicable, proof of custody

  • Proof of custody

    with a single guardian