You are here:

Birth: Display of a birth

You have had a child and need a birth certificate.

The birth of your child will be recorded at the registry office of the district of birth. The registry office of your place of residence is therefore not responsible, but the place of birth is decisive. If the child was born in a hospital or birthplace, these institutions will notify the birth in writing to the registry office. For home births, midwives, obstetricians or doctors issue birth certificates. You must present these in person to the relevant registry office within one week of the birth of your child.


All certificates and documents must be presented in original at the registry office. It is also necessary to present the original of the national passport and the electronic residence permit (eAT) of the parents. In the case of German identity cards/passports, it is also possible to present a clearly recognizable copy instead of the original.

Further information about the required documents can be found in the Birth Flyer (see "i Where can I find out more?").

The translation of foreign documents must be done by a sworn translator and must be submitted together with the original document.

Note: In many cases, foreign documents must be provided with a notarization (e.g. apostille). Please inquire at the registry office in good time before the birth date whether this is necessary in your case. The list is not exhaustive. Further documents may be required in individual cases.

What documents do I need?

  • see Birth Flyer

    (under "i Where can I find out more?")