Have you become a mother or father? Then you are entitled to basic parental allowance, parental allowance plus and partnership bonus months under certain conditions.
You are welcome to fill out the application for parental allowance digitally/online. You will find the link to the digital parental allowance application on the right under the forms or under the following link:
Corona Pandemic Information:
Office and Visiting Hours:
We can be reached by phone on Tuesdays (8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.), Thursdays (8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.) and Fridays (10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.).
For a personal appointment, call us to make an appointment.
Due to the Corona pandemic, parents may suffer financial disadvantages. For this reason, the Federal Ministry of Family Affairs has decided on temporary exemptions. For more information, visit the Federal Department of Family Services page:
You will find applications for the statutory adjustments on the right-hand side under "Forms" with the suffix "Corona".
Changes to the law on parental allowance from 01.09.2021
The legal provisions will change on 1 September 2021, so you will currently find two different application forms with associated instructions for completion here.
For children born before 01.09.2021, please use the "Parental allowance application-birth before 01.09.2021" and the "Filling-in instructions-birth before 01.09.2021".
For children born on or after 01.09.2021, please use the form "Elterngeldantrag-Geburt ab 01.09.2021" and the "Ausfüllanleitung-Geburt ab 01.09.2021".
The parental allowance replaces 65 percent of the earned income that is lost after the birth of the child up to a maximum of 1,800 euros (basic parental allowance) or 900 euros (parental allowance plus). If the income is less than 1,240 euros, the percentage increases to 67 percent in small steps in line with the level of income.
If the income is less than 1,000 euros per month before the birth of the child, the percentage increases in small steps up to 100 percent of the net income. Those who did not work before the birth of the child receive at least 300 euros (basic parental allowance) or 150 euros (parental allowance plus). From an annual income of 250,000 euros for single parents and 300,000 euros for cohabiting parents, the entitlement to parental allowance ceases.
In the case of additional children living in the household, a sibling bonus is paid under certain conditions. In the case of a multiple birth, the entitlement increases by 300 euros; the sibling bonus is no longer available in this case.
Parental allowance is claimed for months of the child's life. In principle, the eligibility requirements must be met from the beginning in each of the months applied for. Mothers and fathers are entitled to parental allowance if they
- look after and bring up their children themselves after the birth,
- for births before 01.09.2021: do not work more than 30 hours a week,
- for births after 01.09.2021: do not work more than 32 hours a week,
- live with their children in the same household and
- have a place of residence or habitual abode in Germany.
Exceptions in the case of foreign employment relationships, in particular secondments, must be taken into account.
Spouses or partners who look after the child after birth - even if it is not their own - can receive parental benefit under the same conditions.
Parental allowance is also available for adopted children and children taken in with the aim of adoption.
NEW: Parents of premature babies receive additional parental allowance months (birth of the child from 01.09.2021).
Depending on how early the child is born, parents will receive parental allowance for up to four months longer. This gives them more time for their child in this challenging situation and the peace and security they need in their particular situation.
In concrete terms, if a child is born at least six weeks before the expected date, parents receive an additional month of basic parental allowance. If the child is born eight weeks early, there are two additional basic parental allowance months, if the child is born twelve weeks before the calculated date, the parents receive an additional three months of parental allowance and if the child is born 16 weeks before the calculated date, they receive an additional four months of parental allowance. The additional basic parental allowance months can also be converted into parental allowance plus months.
What documents do I need?
- Identity card or passport
- a copy is sufficient in the case of written notification
- In the case of representation by written power of attorney, the authorized representative must be able to identify himself/herself with an identity card or passport.
- Copy of the residence permit
- Certificate of birth
- with the purpose of use "to apply for parental allowance", in the case of multiple births for each child.
- Evidence of the particularly early birth
- by a medical certificate or a certificate from a midwife or maternity nurse.
- Certificate of employment
- Confirmation of the employer about the use of parental leave or the reduction of working hours
- Certificate of maternity pay, statement from the employer for the calculation of the maternity pay supplement from the health insurance company
- Salary statements
- if the mother is not self-employed: from the 14 months before the birth
- in the case of the father's employment: from the 12 months preceding the birth
The statements of account may also be submitted as copies.
- Proof of income for self-employment
- In the case of self-employment, the tax assessment notice for the year before the birth of the child serves as proof of income. In the case of loss of income in this assessment period (e.g. pregnancy-related illnesses), the previous assessment period will be taken as a basis upon application.
- If compulsory social security contributions are paid, proof of this is also required. A declaration on the continuation of the activity in the reference period is also required. If the activity is shut down/restricted, a replacement is hired, existing staff takes on additional tasks, etc.. If necessary, an estimate of the expected income in the reference period is also necessary. After the end of the reference period, the final calculation of the amount of entitlement is made.
- Proof of mixed income (income from self-employment and employment)
- If there is income from non-self-employed and self-employed activities in the 12 months before birth, the income from both activities from the calendar year before the year of birth is used.