You are here:

Display weapon rendered unusable or destroyed

If you have had your weapons rendered unusable or destroyed, you must report this within 2 weeks.

Weapons or their essential parts are rendered permanently inoperable if the firing capability or function cannot be restored with commonly used tools and the technical specifications of the EU deactivation implementing regulation (Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/2403 of 15.12.2015 laying down common guidelines on deactivation standards and techniques to ensure that firearms are rendered irreversibly inoperable upon deactivation (OJ L 333, 19.12.2015, p. 62), as last amended by Implementing Regulation (EU) 2018/337 (OJ L 65, 8.3.2018, p. 1)).

If deactivation has not been carried out in accordance with the EU Deactivation Implementing Regulation, the same provisions continue to apply to these weapons as to weapons requiring a permit that are in working order.

The deactivation is usually carried out by a gunsmith/gun manufacturer. The competent certification office issues a deactivation certificate as proof that the weapon has been deactivated in accordance with the provisions of the EU Deactivation Implementation Regulation. You must keep the deactivation certificate together with the deactivated firearms or take it with you when transporting such firearms. If you lose the deactivation certificate, you must report this immediately to the competent weapons authority.

A weapon has been destroyed if its technical functionality has been permanently removed and its physical existence no longer exists (for example by shredding or melting down the weapon).

If you have reported the rendering unusable or destruction and submitted the necessary evidence, the competent weapons authority will remove this weapon from your permit documents (e.g. weapons ownership card, weapons license, European firearms pass).


You must have a deactivation certificate or proof that the weapon has been destroyed.

What documents do I need?

  • Identity card or passport (copy)
  • Permit certificates

    (e.g. gun ownership card, European firearms pass) in which the weapons are registered (if available).

  • Deactivation certificate

    (officially certified copy) or proof of the destruction of the weapon (e.g. presentation of the destroyed weapon or detailed photographic documentation of the destruction process).

  • Power of attorney/proof of activity/other proof if the notifying party is not the permit holder

    For example, insolvency/forced administrator, officially appointed guardian, holder (in the event of the death of the permit holder)