You are here:

Extend driving licence

If you already hold a driver's license and would like to extend it by another driver's license (class), an application is required. The application is usually made through your driving school. If the application is not submitted through your driving school, we are available to you by phone at 0421-361 12435 or by e-mail at for further inquiries.
Note for driving schools: please refer to our information for driving schools under the heading Competent Authorities "Driving Licenses".

The driving license is issued for the respective class if the applicant:

  • has his or her normal place of residence in the country,
  • has reached the required minimum age:
    - 25 years for direct access to class A
    - 21 years for classes D, D1, DE or D1E
    - 18 years for class A with access in stages and for classes B, BE, C, C1, CE or C1E
    - 16 years for classes A1, L, M and T
  • is qualified to drive motor vehicles
  • has been trained to drive motor vehicles in accordance with the Driving Instructor Act and the legislation based on it,
  • has demonstrated the ability to drive motor vehicles in a theoretical and practical examination,
  • has mastered the basic principles of caring for road traffic accident victims or is able to administer first aid,
  • meets the requirements for eyesight
  • does not hold a driving license for this category issued in a member state of the European Union or in another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area
  • and proves the fulfillment of the requirements accordingly.


  • Application to the driving license authority (usually carried out by the driving school)
  • Examination of the documents by the authority
  • Obtaining of register information (central traffic register), zT certificate of good conduct
  • Issuance of a test order to the TÜV (Technical Inspection Agency)
  • Issuance of the driving license by handing out the driving license (within the scope of the practical examination by the TÜV)

The TÜV returns test orders to the driving license authority if

  • the theoretical test is not passed within twelve months of receipt of the test order,
  • the practical test has not been passed within twelve months of passing the theoretical test, or
  • in cases where no theoretical test is required, the practical test has not been passed within twelve months of receipt of the test order.
  • An extension is not possible. A new application must be submitted.

What documents do I need?

  • 1. for all classes:

    - Identity card or passport
    - if applicable, registration certificate
    - Photograph that complies with the provisions of the passport regulation
    - Previous original driving licence

  • 2. for Class A, A1, A2, AM, L, T, B, BE in addition to 1:

    - Proof of participation in a training course in 1. help
    - Vision test certificate (not older than 2 years)

  • 3. for Class C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE in addition to 1:

    - Proof of training in,
    - certificate or report on visual acuity (not older than 2 years)
    - certificate or report on physical and mental aptitude

  • 4. for classes D1, D1E, D and DE in addition to 1. and 3:

    - Expert opinion on special requirements
    - certificate of good conduct type O (can be applied for at the driving licence authority)

  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.