You are here:

Vehicles that were first registered for traffic at least 30 years ago are considered "historic". The date of the first registration is decisive.

These vehicles must primarily serve the preservation of motor vehicle cultural assets. In the license plate, historic vehicles have an "H" ("H license plate") in the last position.

A combination of H license plates and seasonal license plates has been possible since 01.10.2017.


  • first registered at least 30 years ago
  • appraisal by an officially recognized expert from a technical inspection agency or a test engineer from an officially recognized inspection organization
  • as far as possible in original condition and good state of preservation of the vehicle
  • no outstanding fees and expenses from previous registration processes.
    In the case of payment arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
  • No motor vehicle tax arrears (including ancillary tax payments, e.g. interest, late fees).
    Motor vehicle tax accounts are verified by the registration authority as part of the processing of the registration application. In the event of tax arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
  • Written direct debit authorization for the collection of the motor vehicle tax

What documents do I need?

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit
  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    Additionally: identity card or passport of the authorized person

  • Registration certificate part I (formerly: vehicle registration document)
  • Registration certificate part II (formerly: vehicle registration document)

    If the ZB II is in the possession of a third party, it must be sent to the licensing authority. Only when the document is available to the authority can the change be made.
    After completion, the document is returned to the sender.

  • License plates

    for registered vehicles

  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
  • Expert opinion according to § 23 StVZO

    Expert opinion for the classification of a vehicle as a classic car

  • Vehicles for which no type approval is available

    - full expert opinion according to § 21 StVZO

  • for vehicles withdrawn from service before 1 October 2005: certificate of immobilisation instead of vehicle registration document
  • if registered to companies

    - Current and valid business registration and, if available, current and valid excerpt from the commercial register (also as a copy)
    - Power of attorney, if the person authorized to dispose does not personally submit the application on site