You are here:

Housing benefit - apply for a rent subsidy

Legal status: 01.01.2021


Info on the current Corona situation:

There are no open office hours. Advice is usually given by telephone or electronically. In urgent individual cases, it is possible to make an appointment after consultation with the case handler - in compliance with the current Corona rules.

Applications and documents can be posted in the letterbox in front of the office building Contrescarpe 73 or sent by e-mail to Housing benefit applications with short-time allowance: see under further information.


Rent subsidy (housing benefit for tenants) you could be entitled to if you have a low income, e.g. below €1072.00 net for single people and if you do not receive any other social benefits.

Get rent allowance:

  • Tenants of an apartment or room
  • Owners of an apartment building with three or more apartments, if the house is owner-occupied
  • Residents of a home within the meaning of the Bremen Housing and Care Act (Bremisches Wohn- und Betreuungsgesetz), if they are not only temporarily admitted.

Whether and to what extent housing benefit can be claimed depends on three factors:

  • Number of household members to be considered
  • Amount of the total income
  • Amount of rent

The total income is the sum of the annual incomes of the household members to be taken into account minus certain exemptions and deductions.

Contact Person

In the case of the rent subsidy, the rent is subsidised without heating costs, hot water and electricity, plus the amount for relief from heating costs.


Rent is only eligible up to a certain maximum amount plus the amount to relieve heating costs.

Housing benefit is not payable to:

Recipients of the following social benefits if costs of accommodation have been taken into account when calculating the benefit:

  • Unemployment benefit II and social benefit
  • Benefits for trainees in accordance with § 27 Para. 3 of the Second Book of the Social Security Code
  • Transitional allowance and injury allowance, in each case to the amount of unemployment benefit II, also in the case of advances and advance payments on transitional allowance or injury allowance
  • Basic income support in old age and in the event of reduced earning capacity
  • Assistance towards subsistence
  • Supplementary assistance towards subsistence or other assistance in an inpatient institution which covers subsistence, in accordance with the Bundesversorgungsgesetz (Federal Supply Act) or in accordance with a law which declares this to be applicable
  • Benefits in special cases and basic benefits according to the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz)
  • Child and youth welfare benefits if the household is exclusively home to recipients of these benefits

Are not entitled to housing benefit

  • Single trainees or students who are entitled on the merits to benefits for support under BAföG or SGB III .
    Exception: An entitlement to housing benefit exists if the benefits for the promotion of education are granted exclusively as a loan or if you live together with other household members who are not entitled to BAföG or vocational training allowance on the merits of the case.
  • Single persons who receive benefits according to the so-called MobiPro (promotion of vocational mobility of young people interested in training and unemployed young skilled workers from Europe) or if all household members are recipients of this benefit.

What documents do I need?

  • Copy of all documents
  • Rental contract at the time of the first application
  • Proof of payment of rent by the landlord, alternatively the last 3 bank statements
  • Last rent change letter
  • Notification of water and drainage charges
  • Service charge settlement
  • All proof of income of the household members in the last 12 months

    e.g. certificate of earnings, tax-free income and capital gains

  • Notification of unemployment benefit I or II or notification of assistance with subsistence or basic support

    for unemployed persons or persons receiving social assistance

  • Last tax assessment / last tax return, profit and loss account

    for self-employed persons

  • School certificate

    for children over 16 years

  • Certificate of matriculation

    among students

  • Severely disabled pass
  • Notification of receipt of care allowance

    with existing severe disability