Re-registering a motor vehicle (with change of owner and WITHOUT taking the number plate with you)
Due to the current situation, please note the information on the Bürgeramt's homepage.
If you have bought a vehicle that is already registered in Germany, you must have it transferred immediately, i.e. registered in your name.
If a registered vehicle has been purchased, a transfer to the name of the new owner must be applied for immediately from the vehicle registration authority. The application may be made in person. A representative with written power of attorney may also be appointed.
From 01.10.2019, the new registration of a vehicle is also possible online under certain conditions. Further information on "internet-based vehicle registration" is available on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (see "i Where can I find out more?").
New vehicle documents have been available since 1 October 2005. These are the registration certificate part I (old: vehicle registration document) and part II (old: vehicle title). These are uniformly designed in the European Union (EU).
- no outstanding fees and expenses from previous admission procedures.
In case of payment arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
- no vehicle tax arrears (including additional tax payments such as interest, late payment surcharges).
The vehicle tax accounts are checked by the registration office as part of the processing of the registration application. In the case of tax arrears, the registration office may not register the vehicle until these have been paid.
- Written direct debit authorization for the collection of the vehicle tax
Transcription only at the holder's main residence
What documents do I need?
- valid identity card or passport of the applicant vehicle owner
- if registered to companies
- business registration and, if available, extract from the commercial register (also as a copy)
- power of attorney, if the person entitled to dispose of the property does not personally submit the application on site
- in case of representation with written power of attorney
additionally: identity card or passport of the authorised representative
- Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
- Registration certificate part I (formerly: vehicle registration document)
- Registration certificate part II (formerly: vehicle registration document)
If the ZB II is in the possession of a third party, it must be sent to the licensing authority. Only when the document is available to the authority can the change be made.
After completion, the document is returned to the sender.
- electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
- if necessary, confirmation of reservation for the desired license plate
- valid test report on a general inspection
e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, GTS, FSP
- License plates
Not necessary if the vehicle was already registered in the municipality of Bremen and the registration number is to be retained.