You are here:

Red license plate (dealer license plate)

The red license plate is intended for dealers (e.g. vehicle manufacturers, dealers, garages) for test, inspection and transfer drives of otherwise unregistered vehicles. The assigned license plate number always begins with "06". Multiple use is also possible.

The license plate entitles you to the following journeys:

  • Test drives: journeys to determine and prove the serviceability of the vehicle (§ 2 No. 23 FZV)
  • Test drives: journeys to have the vehicle tested by an officially recognized expert or tester for motor vehicle traffic or test engineer of an officially recognized inspection organization, including the journey of the vehicle to the test location and back (§ 2 No. 24 FZV)
  • Transfer journeys: journeys to transfer the vehicle to another location (§ 2 No. 25 FZV)
  • For a necessary journey for refueling and exterior cleaning on the occasion of a journey according to the above-mentioned points as well as for a necessary journey for the purpose of repair or maintenance of the vehicle concerned (§ 41 para. 1 FZV)

Journeys for other purposes are not permitted with this license plate!


Red license plates (dealer license plates) can only be taken out of service at the registration authority that issued them.


  • Reliability of the applicant, usually evidenced by:
    - Information from the Federal Central Criminal Register (certificate of good conduct)
    - Information from the Central Commercial Register
    - Information from the Central Traffic Register at the Federal Motor Transport Authority
  • Registered motor vehicle-related business operation
  • Proof of the need for red license plates for dealers
  • There must be no outstanding fees and expenses from previous transactions
  • No motor vehicle tax arrears (including ancillary tax payments, such as interest, late payment penalties)

In the event of payment or tax arrears, the central vehicle registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.

What documents do I need?

  • Business registration
  • for legal entities:

    - extract from the commercial register and identity card of all managing directors or authorized signatories

  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    Additionally: identity card or passport of the authorized person

  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
  • written explanations of needs
  • Proof(s) of the application for access to the register

    - Information from the Federal Central Register (certificate of good conduct type O)
    - Information from the Central Trade Register

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit