- An application for registration must be submitted to the registration authority. The application can also be made by a representative (e.g. car dealer) with a written power of attorney.
- If a preferred license plate is desired, reservations can be made in person, in writing or by telephone, and as an online service via the Internet, even before the new registration.
- The insurance company is automatically informed by the registration authority about the allocation of the license plate.
Appointments can be booked online at any time via www.service.bremen.de/dienststelle/termine or by telephone Mon-Fri from 07:00-18:00 on the following telephone numbers:
Motor Vehicle Registration Authority: (0421) 361-88668 or (0421) 115.
Citizens' Service Centre North: (0421) 361-88644 or (0421) 115
License plates can be produced during the registration process. Private providers have set up near the registration authorities for this purpose. The cost of the plates is not included in the fees. The licence plates are stamped by the registration authority, i.e. provided with stickers for the main inspection and the registration district.
- § 13 Kraftfahrzeugsteuergesetz (KraftStG)
- § 6a Abs. 8 Straßenverkehrsgesetz (StVG) iVm § 1 Gesetz zur Beitreibung von Gebühren- und Auslagenrückständen bei der Zulassung von Fahrzeugen im Land Bremen (Beitreibungserleichterungsgesetz Kfz-Zulassung – BEG HB)
- § 6 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV) (Antrag auf Zulassung)
- Gebührenordnung für Maßnahmen im Straßenverkehr (GebOSt)
- Beitreibungserleichterungsgesetz Kfz-Zulassung (BEG HB)
An amendment to the German Motor Vehicle Tax Act came into force on 1 July 2010. The following changes apply to registrations from 1 July 2010:
- When a vehicle is registered, a SEPA Direct Debit Mandate is required for the collection of motor vehicle tax. A SEPA Direct Debit Mandate issued for initial taxation is also valid for subsequent years.
- From 1.7.2010, export license plates are subject to vehicle tax. The motor vehicle tax must be paid upon registration for the duration of the validity of the export license plate (SEPA direct debit mandate). The minimum taxation period is one month.
Which vehicles are subject to the registration obligation is regulated by paragraphs 3 and 4 of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV).
- Vehicle tax exemption or reduction due to severe disability:
- Severely disabled persons with the mark "H", "BI" or "aG" in their severely disabled pass are still exempt from vehicle tax. They do not have to submit a direct debit authorization because of the proof in their ID. Further information can be obtained from the main customs office in Bremen.
- Electronic confirmation of insurance (eVB):
- You can obtain the confirmation of insurance for motor vehicle liability insurance from the insurance company of your choice. In most cases you can request the insurance confirmation by telephone from your insurance company.
Since 1 March 2008, the insurer has been able to provide you with an insurance confirmation with a 7-digit alphanumeric VB number, which the registration authority uses to retrieve the insurance data electronically from the central database of the German Insurance Association.
If the first issue of a registration certificate Part II (formerly Vehicle Registration Certificate) is required as part of the registration process, the vehicle must always be identified by the registration authority by presenting the vehicle.