You are here:
  • Dienstleistungen
  • Registering a new motor vehicle (without changing the owner and WITHOUT taking the registration number with you)

Registering a new motor vehicle (without changing the owner and WITHOUT taking the registration number with you)


  • An application for registration must be submitted to the registration authority. The application can also be made by a representative (e.g. car dealer) with a written power of attorney.
  • If a preferred license plate is desired, reservations can be made in person, in writing or by telephone, and as an online service via the Internet, even before the new registration.
  • When the vehicle is registered in the name of the vehicle owner, a new registration certificate Part I (formerly: vehicle registration certificate) is issued. It may also be necessary to issue a registration certificate Part II (formerly: Fahrzeugbrief).
  • If the vehicle was last registered in a different registration district, new licence plates and, if necessary, a new fine dust sticker can be applied for.
  • The insurance company is automatically informed by the registration authority about the allocation of the number plate.

Appointments can be reserved online at any time via or by telephone Mon-Fri from 07:00-18:00 on the following telephone numbers:

Motor Vehicle Registration Authority: (0421) 361-88668 or (0421) 115.

Citizens' Service Centre North: (0421) 361-88644 or (0421) 115

License plates can be produced during the registration process. Private providers have set up shop for this purpose near the Behördenzentrum Stresemannstr. 48 and the BSC-Nord. The cost of the plates is not included in the fees. The registration plates are stamped by the registration authority, i.e. provided with stickers for the main inspection and the registration district.

Legal bases

More information

  • Paragraphs 3 and 4 of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV) regulate which vehicles are subject to the registration requirement.
  • On 1 July 2010, an amendment to the Vehicle Tax Act came into force. For registrations from 1.7.2010 onwards, the following changes apply:
    - When a vehicle is registered, a SEPA direct debit mandate is required for the collection of vehicle tax. A SEPA direct debit mandate issued for initial taxation is also valid for subsequent years.
  • Motor vehicle tax exemption or reduction due to severe disability:
    Severely disabled persons with the mark "H", "BI" or "aG" in their severely disabled pass continue to be exempt from motor vehicle tax. They do not need to submit a direct debit authorization because of the evidence in their ID.
    Further information is available from the main customs office in Bremen.