You are here:

Registering a new vehicle (change of holder)

Due to nationwide regulations, the online portal for digital vehicle registrations (iKfz) had to be deactivated on January 1, 2024. The vehicle registration office does not currently offer online services. Work is currently underway to resume digital services. In the meantime, the analog services of the vehicle registration office are available to you. We apologize for the inconvenience.

After purchasing a used vehicle, you must re-register it and, if necessary, apply for a new license plate.

The application may be made in person. A representative with written power of attorney can also be appointed.

From 01.10.2019, the new registration of a vehicle is also possible online under certain conditions. For more information on "internet-based vehicle registration", please visit the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (see "i Where can I find out more?").

Since October 1, 2005, there have been new vehicle documents. These are the registration certificate Part I (old: vehicle registration document) and Part II (old: vehicle title). These have a uniform design in the European Union (EU). If a registration certificate Part II (formerly: vehicle registration document) already exists and there is still space for the entry in it, the change is made in it.

If the new registration certificates have not yet been issued, they will be issued in this context, even if another keeper entry would be possible in the old papers. A new registration certificate Part I (formerly: vehicle registration document) will be issued in any case.

The future keeper must be registered in Bremen.


  • no overdue fees and expenses from previous registration processes.
    In the case of payment arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
  • No motor vehicle tax arrears (including ancillary tax payments, e.g. interest, late payment surcharges).
    Motor vehicle tax accounts are verified by the registration authority as part of the processing of the registration application. In the event of tax arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
  • Written direct debit authorization for the collection of the motor vehicle tax

What documents do I need?

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit
  • if registered to companies

    - Current and valid business registration and, if available, current and valid excerpt from the commercial register (also as a copy)
    - Power of attorney, if the person authorized to dispose does not personally submit the application on site

  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    Additionally: identity card or passport of the authorized person

  • Registration certificate part I (formerly: vehicle registration document)
  • Registration certificate part II (formerly: vehicle registration document)

    If the ZB II is in the possession of a third party, it must be sent to the licensing authority. Only when the document is available to the authority can the change be made.
    After completion, the document is returned to the sender.

  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
  • valid test report on a general inspection


  • License plates

    Not necessary if the vehicle is already registered and the registration number is to be retained.
    Note: Further information is available in the service description "Vehicle transfer (with change of owner and MIT registration plate)"