You are here:

Renewal of a temporary driving licence

The driver's license is issued for a limited period of time for drivers of buses or trucks in classes C, CE, D, DE or C1, C1E or D1, D1E and can be extended:

  • The driving license for classes C, CE and for classes D, D1, DE and D1E is issued or extended for five years in each case.
  • The driving license for classes C1 and C1E is granted for the first time until the age of 50 and thereafter for five years in each case.
  • Application from the 46th year of life: limitation of the driving license to 5 years.


Personal visit

What documents do I need?

  • valid identity card or passport
  • Driving licence
  • Passport photo

    according to the photo sample board

  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.
  • medical and ophthalmological certificate in accordance with Annexes 5 and 6 of the Driving Licence Ordinance

    There is an official form for these certificates, which is available to doctors. You can have the certificate issued by any doctor. At the time of application, the medical certificate may not be older than one year and the ophthalmological certificate may not be older than 2 years.

  • performance psychological assessment

    Only bus drivers in categories D and D1 require this certificate from the age of 50 years onward for each extension. The performance psychology examination includes, for example, a review of resilience, reactivity, orientation and concentration. Proof that you meet these special requirements is provided by a company or occupational medical report or by a report from an officially recognised assessment centre for fitness to drive.