You are here:

Replace registration certificate I - loss, theft

If your Part I registration certificate is lost or stolen, you will need a replacement for it.

If a vehicle registration document was still issued for the vehicle, the registration certificate Part I is issued as a replacement. It is not permissible to have the new registration certificate Part I (formerly: vehicle registration document) and the old vehicle registration document at the same time. The old vehicle registration document must be exchanged for the new registration certificate Part II.

If the registration certificate Part I that was thought to have been lost is found again after the replacement document has been issued, the document that has been found again must be handed in to the registration authority without delay.


Notification of theft or confirmation of loss

What documents do I need?

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit
  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    Additionally: identity card or passport of the authorized person

  • Registration certificate part II or old vehicle registration document
  • if necessary, additional confirmation from the police of the theft report
  • valid test report on a general inspection


  • Form notice of loss

    signed by the principal in the case of representation

  • if registered to companies

    - Current and valid business registration and, if available, current and valid excerpt from the commercial register (also as a copy)
    - Power of attorney, if the person authorized to dispose does not personally submit the application on site