You are here:

Rewriting foreign driving licences - EU/EEA

Valid driving licenses from EU or EEA countries (EEA = European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway)) entitle the holder to drive a motor vehicle in Germany.

Issuance of a German driver's license based on the foreign driver's license (so-called transcription). These driving licenses do not have to be transcribed into a German driving license document. However, a transcription is possible on a voluntary basis.


The driving license is issued for the respective class if the applicant:

  • has his or her normal place of residence in the country,
  • has reached the required minimum age:
    - 25 years for direct access to class A
    - 21 years for classes D, D1, DE or D1E
    - 18 years for class A with access in stages and for classes B, BE, C, C1, CE or C1E
    - 16 years for classes A1, L, M and T
  • is suitable for driving motor vehicles,

In the case of driving license classes that are limited in time in Germany, the German validity periods apply even if no period or a longer period is entered in the foreign driving license.

More detailed information can be obtained from the driving license authority.

What documents do I need?

  • Identity card or passport
  • Passport photo

    according to the photo sample board

  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.
  • valid foreign driving licence

    for EU driving licences in Cyrillic script with official translation