You are here:

Apply for a housing entitlement certificate

You might be entitled to a Wohnberechtigungsschein if you have a low income or receive social benefits. A Wohnberechtigungsschein is required to move into a subsidized, low-rent apartment.

A Wohnberechtigungsschein is issued both for moving into a subsidized rental apartment and for applying for subsidies for an owner-occupied property.
Whether a Wohnberechtigungsschein can be issued and what size of apartment may be occupied depends on two factors:

  • Number of household members to be considered
  • Amount of the total income

The total income is the sum of the annual incomes of the household members to be considered minus certain exemptions and deductions.


  • German nationality or
    Possession of a valid residence permit, a toleration or a residence permit.
  • Presence of the age of majority

What documents do I need?

  • Current tenancy agreement or eviction order or other evidence of existing homelessness

    when applying for a housing emergency

  • Last tax assessment / last tax return, profit and loss account

    for self-employed persons

  • All proof of income of all household members in the last 12 months
    • Certificate of earnings
    • Tax-free income and capital gains
  • Notification of unemployment benefit I or II or notification of assistance with subsistence or basic support

    For unemployed persons or welfare recipients.

    For both rent and rent allowance.

  • Certificate of matriculation

    For students.

    Both for rent and load subsidy.

  • Severely disabled pass

    with existing severe disability

  • School certificate

    for children aged 16 and over.

    For both rent and burden allowance.

  • Notification of receipt of care allowance

    in case of existing severe disability.

    Both for rent and burden subsidy.

  • Copy of the passport

    for foreign nationals