You are here:

apply for a passport

Due to the current situation, please note the information on the Bürgeramt homepage.

German citizens must carry a passport and show it on demand when leaving or re-entering the Federal Republic of Germany via the border. However, the holder of a valid German passport also fulfils his or her statutory duty of identification within Germany. The passport replaces the identity card in this respect, although unlike the latter it does not contain the address of the holder. The identity card, on the other hand, is only sufficient within Germany, but not as a rule for entry into other countries - exceptions exist in particular for travel within the European Union (EU).

A passport can also be applied for by persons under the age of 18. You can find all the information on this in our service description "Applying for a passport - for persons under 18" (see:

The validity period of the passport depends on the age of the passport holder. The passport is valid for six years before the age of 24 and ten years after the age of 24. A temporary passport is valid for a maximum of one year.

A passport or a provisional passport is already invalid before the expiry of its period of validity if it does not allow a proper establishment of the holder's identity or if it has been altered or if entries are missing or, with the exception of the information on the place of residence, are incorrect.

In principle, passports are issued in a volume of 32 pages. For an additional fee you can get a passport with 48 pages (for frequent travellers with additional pages for visa entries).

Note: Passports are produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei in Berlin. Provisional passports are produced by the passport authorities.

It is not possible to change personal data in the passport (e.g. the name after marriage). In these cases a new passport must be applied for if necessary.

Please note the following for trips to the USA or Canada:

In addition to a regular (machine-readable bordeaux red) passport, German citizens must also be in possession of an electronic entry permit, which can be applied for via the electronic travel authorization systems of the USA or Canada.


  • German citizenship

Important: This is a service provided by a local authority. Therefore, you can only go to an office in your (main) place of residence.

Exception: If an important reason is given, the application for a passport must also be processed by a passport authority that is not locally competent. A passport may only be issued with the authorisation of the local passport authority. In this case, the fee shall be doubled if this is done at the instigation of the applicant by an authority that is not competent.

What documents do I need?

  • Proof of identity

    e.g. identity card or old or invalid passport

  • 1 current biometric passport photo according to the photo sample board

    Recommendation: not older than three months

  • in the case of a change of name, a document or certificate from the registry office.