You are here:

Apply for an identity card

Please note that we release short-term appointments for all BürgerServiceCenters between 7 and 9 a.m. every day. If you are unable to find a suitable appointment, please check this page again during this time slot.

Would you like to apply for an ID card? Find out more here.

  • ID is required for persons 16 years and older.
  • from 16 years no power of attorney of the parents is required for the application.
  • for children under 16
    - the children must be present in person when applying.
    - the application must be submitted by the person's legal guardian(s)
    - the ePA will only be issued with the electronic proof of identity switched off.
    - for children aged 6 and over, a special declaration by the legal guardian(s) is required expressly in relation to the issuance of the ID card.
    - children from the age of 10 must sign it themselves
    - guardians can collect the identity document alone, without the power of attorney of the other person
  • a third person can be entrusted with the collection. In any case, this person (also legal guardian) needs a special power of attorney to pick up the document. For this purpose, the form provided under "Forms" should be used.
  • However, a collection authorization is required in any case if the child (16 years of age or older) has applied for the ID card himself/herself.


  • official identification document
  • electronic proof of identity
  • electronic signature
  • two digital fingerprints

You can find out more about the functions and options of your ID card with online ID in the brochure "Your ID card - digital, simple and secure".


  • changing the address by address stickers when moving is free of charge.
  • Exemption from fees due to receipt of benefits according to the SGB (e.g. unemployment benefit II, basic income support due to old age or disability) is generally not possible.


  • German citizenship

What documents do I need?

  • Proof of identity

    e.g. old or invalid identity card, valid (child) passport or birth certificate in the case of infants or young children who do not yet have a (child) passport or identity card.

  • 1 current biometric passport photo according to the photo sample board (not older than three months)
  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.
  • For children under 16 years of age:

    Special declaration of consent (explicitly related to the issuing of the identity card) of the person with custody, as well as their identity cards (also copies) and, if applicable, proof of custody.

  • in the case of a change of name, a document or certificate from the registry office.
  • Important note: the children must always be present in person!