You are here:

Apply for care in a day care center

If you can't make sure your child is doing well in your home, then your child may live in an assisted living facility temporarily or for a longer period of time.

Education in an institution over day and night or in another assisted living form is intended to promote children and adolescents in their development.

This is a benefit type of the assistance for upbringing. It may also be a suitable service for young people in accordance with §41 SGB VIII.

The type of care depends on the age and stage of development of the child or adolescent. In the many different forms of residential care, specialists will look after your child with pedagogical and therapeutic offers.

Home education or other forms of assisted living are forms of help for upbringing. Depending on the situation, the help is intended to:

  • achieve a return to the family,
  • prepare for upbringing in another family
  • provide a form of living for a longer period of time.


  • You are a parent or guardian for a child (the custodial person).
  • You are unable to care for and raise the child in a way that is good for the child.
  • Help in the form of placing your child in a home or other assisted living arrangement is appropriate and necessary.

What documents do I need?

  • identity card/passport

    If a German identity card/passport is to be authenticated, a written proof of what this authentication is required for must be brought along.

  • Proof of custody

    For example: birth certificate, information from the custody register or decision of the family court on custody.