You are here:

Applying for a driver card

The regulations apply to new motor vehicles for the transportation of goods with a gross vehicle weight of more than 3.5 tons and to buses with more than nine seats that were first placed on the market in spring 2006.

Application procedure for issuing a driver card


  • Main residence of the driver in Bremen
  • EU driver's license at least class B or foreign non-EU driver's license, then also an officially certified translation of the driver's license.

In addition, a copy of the driver's card from the driver's license office that issued the current driver's license, if the driver's license was issued outside of Bremen before 1999.

In the event of a loss of the driver's card, an affirmation in lieu of an oath must be submitted to the driver's license office.

What documents do I need?

  • Passport photo

    according to the photo sample board

  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.
  • EU/EEA driving licence min. class B or foreign non-EU driving licence

    for non-EU countries: also officially certified translation of the driving licence

  • Identity card or passport
  • Previous driver card in case of extension or complaint
  • In addition, an index card copy from the driving licence office that issued the current driving licence, if the driving licence was issued outside Bremen before 1999