You are here:

Applying for a driving licence/issuing the first one

Anyone who wants to drive a motor vehicle on public roads usually needs a driving license for this purpose. If the driving license is to be obtained for the first time, please contact a driving school. Everything else will be arranged from there.

Exception: If you have a criminal record, please contact the driver's license office directly.

Note for driving schools: please refer to our information for driving schools under the heading Competent Authorities "Driving Licenses".

Driving licenses are issued for specific classes and are evidenced by the driver's license.
The following classes exist:

  • Class A - motorcycle
  • Class A1 - motorcycle
  • Class A2 - motorcycle
  • Class AM - motorcycle
  • Class B - passenger car
  • Class C - truck
  • Class C1 - truck
  • Class D - bus
  • Class D1 - bus
  • Class E (BE, CE, C1E, DE, D1E)
  • Class T - tractors
  • Class L - tractors

Professional drivers:
Driving for commercial purposes (this includes factory transport and auxiliary transport activities) on public roads with the following motor vehicles:

  • Vehicles with a maximum permissible mass greater than 3.5 tons (class C1, C1E, C, CE driver's license),
  • vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats in passenger transport (driving license of classes D1, D1E, D, DE)

and if the classes

  • D1, D1E, D, DE from 10.9.2008 and
  • C1, C1E, C, CE as of 10.09.2009

have acquired the basic qualification in accordance with the Professional Driver Qualification Act (BKrFQG) and the Professional Driver Qualification Ordinance and have it entered in the driver's license with the code number 95. Contact the Chamber of Commerce for details.


  • Reaching the minimum age (according to § 10 FeV )
  • Fulfillment of the aptitude requirements
  • theoretical and practical examination

What documents do I need?

  • 1. for all classes:

    - Identity card or passport
    - if applicable, registration certificate
    - Photograph that complies with the provisions of the passport regulation
    - Previous original driving licence

  • 2. for Class A, A1, A2, AM, L, T, B, BE in addition to 1:

    - Proof of participation in a training course in 1. help
    - Vision test certificate (not older than 2 years)

  • 3. for Class C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE in addition to 1:

    - Proof of training in,
    - certificate or report on visual acuity (not older than 2 years)
    - certificate or report on physical and mental aptitude

  • 4. for classes D1, D1E, D and DE in addition to 1. and 3:

    - Expert opinion on special requirements
    - certificate of good conduct type O (can be applied for at the driving licence authority)

  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.