You are here:
  • Dienstleistungen
  • Doctor with training from EU/EEA/Switzerland, professional qualification recognized

Doctor with training from EU/EEA/Switzerland, professional qualification recognized



You submit an application for a license to practice medicine to the competent authority. The application must be submitted electronically. The original documents must be presented at a personal appointment. The competent authority will inform you. The competent authority will then check whether your training corresponds to the German training and whether all other requirements have been met.

Automatic recognition

As a rule, the automatic recognition procedure applies if you began your vocational training after your country of training joined the EU/EEA. This means that if you also meet all other requirements, your professional qualification will be recognized without an individual equivalence assessment.

Certificate of conformity

Vocational training that you started before the EU/EEA accession of your country of training (or that does not correspond to the legal designations) can also be recognized automatically. To do so, you must submit a certificate from the competent authority in your country of training stating that your professional qualification meets the minimum EU standards ("certificate of conformity"). If your professional qualification does not meet the minimum standards, you must provide proof of your professional experience. You must have worked as a doctor in your country of origin for an uninterrupted period of 3 years in the 5 years prior to submitting your application. This must be confirmed by the competent authority in your country of origin.

Examination of equivalence

If you cannot present a certificate of conformity or do not have enough professional experience, your training must be checked individually. The competent authority will compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification. The competent body will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the examination

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognized. The authority can confirm the result in writing. You must still meet the other requirements and provide proof of your language skills. You will then be granted a license to practice medicine.

Are there any significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? You may be able to compensate for the differences through your professional experience, other knowledge or skills (lifelong learning). You must provide evidence of your professional experience. Knowledge and skills must be certified by an authority in the country in which you acquired the knowledge or skills.

However, it is possible that the essential differences cannot be compensated for by this knowledge. The competent authority will tell you the main differences and why you cannot compensate for the main differences with your professional experience.

The decision of the competent authority will also state the level of your training and the level required in Germany. You will then not be allowed to work as a doctor in Germany.

Aptitude test

If your professional qualification is not equivalent and you cannot compensate for the differences, you can take an aptitude test. The aptitude test examines the main differences in your professional qualifications. The aptitude test is an oral and practical examination.

If you pass the aptitude test and meet all other requirements, you will be licensed to practice medicine.

Legal bases

More information

Legal remedy

You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (for example, by lodging an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first speak to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.