You are here:
  • Dienstleistungen
  • Exchange official driver's license (German Armed Forces, police)

Exchange official driver's license (German Armed Forces, police)

Do you have or have you had a driver's license from the German Armed Forces or the police? You can have this exchanged for a "normal" driver's license.

The service driver's license of the German Armed Forces, the German Federal Police or the police can be converted into a "civilian", i.e. general driver's license (EU driver's license) without further examination.


Personal visit

What documents do I need?

  • Identity card or passport
  • Driving licence (service driving licence)

    or, after leaving active service, a certificate from the Central Military Forces Agency confirming possession of a licence

  • Passport photo

    according to the photo sample board

  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.
  • Civil driving licence (if available)