You are here:

foreign indicator

If you buy a new or used vehicle abroad or move to Germany with a vehicle registered to you abroad, you must apply for registration for this vehicle.

The registration of a vehicle that was previously registered abroad is more complicated than a new registration or transfer, as more documents are required.

In order to be able to complete the procedure quickly, it is particularly important to be able to submit all the necessary documents to the relevant office as completely as possible.


  • no overdue fees and expenses from previous registration processes.
    In the case of payment arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
  • No motor vehicle tax arrears (including ancillary tax payments, e.g. interest, late payment surcharges).
    Motor vehicle tax accounts are verified by the registration authority as part of the processing of the registration application. In the event of tax arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
  • Written direct debit authorization for the collection of the motor vehicle tax

What documents do I need?

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit
  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    Additionally: identity card or passport of the authorized person

  • Proof of the authorisation of the vehicle owner to be registered

    Information on the documents required for the initial registration of vehicles with

    • EC type approval
    • National type approval

    please refer to the service description "Registering a motor vehicle" under "Requirements".

  • foreign registration papers and number plates
  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • if applicable, sales tax return (for EU import)

    Vehicles that were first registered in another EU member state no more than six months ago and whose previous mileage is less than 6,000 km are considered new vehicles for tax purposes.

  • if the vehicle was imported from countries outside the EU

    (applies to both new and used vehicles):


    - customs clearance certificate (available from the main customs office)
    - for vehicles with EC type approval: Inspection report on general inspection
    - for vehicles without EC type approval: Expert opinion of an officially recognized expert according to § 21 StVZO (full expert opinion)

  • Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
  • valid identity card or passport
  • valid test report on a general inspection


  • if registered to companies

    - Current and valid business registration and, if available, current and valid excerpt from the commercial register (also as a copy)
    - Power of attorney, if the person authorized to dispose does not personally submit the application on site