You are here:

help towards living

You may be entitled to help with living expenses in accordance with Social Security Code XII,

if you are temporarily unable to work as defined by the pension insurance institution and

if you do not receive a temporary pension or do not receive a sufficient temporary pension.

Note on Corona: For information on temporary facilitated access to subsistence assistance under the social protection package, see the relevant information sheet under the heading "Where can I find out more".

Due to the current situation, the social centres of the Office for Social Services in the municipality of Bremen have currently restricted open consultation hours and home visits. Citizens are therefore asked to voice their concerns by telephone or e-mail. In special cases a personal appointment can be arranged. Appropriate emergency services are available in all social centres.

Benefits to secure subsistence are divided between SGB II and SGB XII. Those capable of working and their dependents receive benefits according to SGB II. Those who are capable of gainful employment are those who can work at least 3 hours a day under the usual conditions of the general labour market. Temporarily incapable of gainful employment receive benefits according to SGBXII. The determination of earning capacity is made by the pension insurance institution.

If the husband/wife or the partner receives benefits according to SGB II, there is no entitlement to benefits according to SGB XII. In this case, an application according to SGB II must be submitted to the Jobcenter.

Assistance for subsistence according to SGB XII is granted if the necessary subsistence cannot be procured or cannot be procured sufficiently from own forces and means, in particular income and assets.

From 1.1.2022, the following standard needs levels will apply:

Standard needs level 1

Adult person living in a flat and for whom standard needs level 2 does not apply: 449 Euro

Standard needs level 2

Adult person living in a flat with a spouse or partner or in a community similar to a spouse or partner: 404 Euro

Standard needs level 3

Adult person if living in an inpatient institution: 360 Euro

Standard needs level 4

Adolescents from the beginning of the 15th to the completion of the 18th year: 376 Euro

Standard needs level 5

Children from the beginning of the 7th to the completion of the 14th year: 311 Euro

Standard needs level 6

Children up to the age of 6: 285 Euro

If necessary, additional needs can be granted, which must be applied for and justified in each individual case. Furthermore, the appropriate costs for accommodation and heating are paid if required.


  • no or insufficient temporary pension or other income or assets
  • severely reduced earning capacity or temporary full incapacity
  • habitual residence in the Federal Republic of Germany

What documents do I need?

  • Proof of loading

    All load certificates, such as

    Rental agreement including proof of rental payments,

    Proof of any additional energy costs to be paid (electricity, water, gas)

    Proof of the respective health insurance, gffs. contribution invoice etc.,

  • Statement of assets

    e.g. savings books, life insurance, car, etc.??

  • Bank details
  • valid identity card or passport (original, no copy)
  • Residence permit

    In addition to the identity document, foreign nationals require the valid residence permit (with supplementary sheet if necessary)

  • proof of income and assets of the applicant

    All proof of income and assets, e.g. pension statements, alimony, other social benefits, savings books, life insurance, car