You are here:

Register as jobseeker

If your training or employment relationship ends, you must register as a jobseeker at least 3 months in advance.

As an employee, you are required by law to register as a jobseeker with the Employment Agency at least 3 months before the end of your employment. If you have learned of the end of your employment relationship less than 3 months beforehand, you must register as a jobseeker within 3 days.

The same applies if you are undergoing extra-company training and are subsequently threatened with unemployment.

After you have registered as a job seeker, the Employment Agency will support you in your search for a suitable job.

In general, you should register as a jobseeker with the Employment Agency as early as possible if

  • you have been dismissed,
  • your fixed-term employment contract is expiring,
  • you have concluded a termination agreement with your employer by mutual agreement,
  • you are looking for work again after a long illness
  • school, vocational training or studies are coming to an end and you do not yet have a contractually fixed job or training position,
  • you want to return to work after having raised children for a longer period of time, or
  • you are looking for work for other reasons.


Once they have been registered, they can take up employment that is subject to compulsory insurance and involves at least 15 hours of work per week.

What documents do I need?

  • Identity document (identity card or passport and registration certificate)
    • When registering for work in person at the employment agency.