You are here:

Request authorization certificate for online ID card function

If you want to use the online ID function as a provider in your own application, you need an authorization certificate.

An authorization certificate is required for each electronic service that can be used with the online ID card, which authorizes authentication and authentication of the user and provider.
The following can apply for an authorization certificate:

  • Service providers and
  • Identification service providers
  • On-site service providers

The following authorizations are distinguished:

  • the proof of identity to online service providers,
  • on-site reading at service providers, and
  • the proof of identity vis-à-vis identification service providers.

Proof of identity vis-à-vis online service providers

The authorization certificate gives you permission to request and process data from ID cards to identify the holder. The authorization certificate and the verified electronic keys enable technical access. You can use it to integrate the online ID card function as a digital means of identification in your own online service or in a vending machine or terminal.
In your application, you must explain why you have an interest in using the online ID card function and how you will use the ID card holders' personal data. You must also ensure that the data is adequately protected.

On-site readout at service providers

Wherever personal data such as name and address are to be transferred to a form, on-site readout is a good option. The data is read out and transferred electronically.
The credential holder is present in person. Before the data is read out, the authorization holder must identify the cardholder by means of the printed photograph and his/her personal data.
In the case of on-site readout, the PIN entry by the ID card holder is not required. It is replaced by the entry or technical recording of the access number (Card Access Number - CAN) on the front of the ID card by the authorization holder.

Proof of identity to identification service providers

Companies and public authorities can use a certified third-party service for proof of identity. The so-called identification service providers make the data from the use of the online ID function available to companies and authorities in individual cases. Identification service providers must apply for authorization and the authorization certificate instead of the service providers.
They must also have their service certified by the Federal Office for Information Security.

The authorizations are each valid for a maximum of 3 years. In the event of a breach of the declaration made and the law, they can be withdrawn immediately at any time.

As the applicant, you must commission the authorization certificate provider (BerCA) yourself. This means: On the basis of the positive authorization notice from the Federal Office of Administration (BVA), you conclude a contract directly with the provider of authorization certificates for the technical procurement of the authorization certificate and the revocation lists.



Be able to apply for a certificate of authorization:

  • Service provider
  • Identification service provider
  • On-site service provider

Other requirements:

  • Requirements for service providers for your credential acquisition:
    • Communicate and prove the identity of the service provider,
    • Description of the interest in authorization underlying the application, in particular for the planned organization-related use
    • Proof of data protection and security measures
    • There must be no indications that the authorization is being misused.
  • Separate requirements for identification service providers:
    • Certificate from the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) confirming compliance with the requirements
  • In addition, you need your own eID server for operation or a service provider as an eID service provider or
    • suitable software,
    • a reader for on-site reading, and
    • suitable integration of the credential application into your website or background system.

What documents do I need?

  • Privacy policy
  • Commercial register excerpt

    For e-business only

  • Description of the interest in entitlement underlying the application.
  • Flowchart of the business process

    To help you understand, you can depict your business process using a flowchart and attach it to the application.

  • Contract of the technical service provider

    If you use a technical service provider, please add the contract.

  • Certificate of the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI)

    Identification service providers only