You are here:

Request help with education

Parents usually take care of the upbringing and care for a child. However, it may be useful for the state to help with the upbringing.

In every family there is a quarrel from time to time. Quarrels between parents or between parents and children. When the quarrels become more and more frequent, it is a great burden. Parents and children sometimes need support. Educational aids offer this support. Help for upbringing is the name for various offers of help with problems and in crisis situations of families.

If you would like to receive help from the Youth Welfare Office, you must contact them. The help is not obligatory, but an offer. The first step is often a consultation with the Youth Welfare Office. There you can explain your problem. The staff members can give you suggestions on how to solve the problem.

Children, adolescents or young adults can also get help from the Youth Welfare Office on their own. The parents do not have to know about this if the young people do not want it.

The help for upbringing is based on the interests of the child or young person. The basis for the granting is the help plan procedure. In the help plan procedure, the custodians, the children or adolescents and the youth welfare office are involved.

There are different types of help for upbringing:

  • A pedagogue advises and supports parents in questions of upbringing (educational counseling).
  • A therapist tries to help the family in group sessions (social group work).
  • A psychological or social pedagogical specialist tries to help individual family members (educational assistance).
  • Children get help when parents have a mental illness.
  • Promoting the child's or adolescent's independence while maintaining a connection to the family (care assistant).
  • Care and provision for a child in an emergency situation. For example, the child may be placed in a foster family or residential home for a period of time (home education or assisted living and intensive individual social pedagogical care).
  • For children with mental disabilities, there is also the integration assistance (does not belong to the assistance for upbringing). Of course, they are also entitled to help in raising children. The assistance and the integration assistance can be granted side by side or in combination.


Educational assistance is considered when it is clear that it will help the children concerned and that without it, an upbringing that is in the best interests of the child or adolescent cannot be guaranteed.

An important prerequisite for the success of the service is your willingness to accept help and to work on changes.