You are here:

Rewriting foreign driving licences - non-EU/EEA

You have not obtained your driver's license in Germany, but

  • acquired it before entering Germany or
  • acquired it as an exchange student?

Driving licenses legally acquired outside the EU/EEA entitle the holder to drive motor vehicles of the issued classes for a period of six months from the establishment of normal residence within the Federal Republic of Germany. If the foreign driver's license is valid for a limited period of time, this authorization is only valid until the expiration of the time limit.
In order for you to be able to continue to use your driver's license in the Federal Republic of Germany after the expiration of this period, the foreign driver's license must be converted into a German driver's license.
If you have a valid Ukrainian driver's license and entered the country after February 24, 2022, you do not have to have your driver's license rewritten until further notice. This regulation is valid at least as long as the temporary protection status for Ukrainian citizens exists.
If you entered the country before 24.02.2022, a case-by-case examination must take place. This also applies if your driver's license has expired, you have lost your driver's license, or your driver's license has been stolen. In these cases, please contact the driver licensing authority. You can find further information on this subject under "Further information"-"Where can I find out more?".


Due to the complexity of the matter, please contact the relevant driver licensing authority.

What documents do I need?

  • Foreign driving licence with official translation (the driving licence must not have expired for more than 3 years)

    The translation is not required for driving licences from Switzerland.

  • if necessary, proof of stays abroad
  • Proof of identity

    (Presentation of a valid identity card or passport)

  • 1 current photo
  • Important information about the photo booths in all offices of the Citizen's Office:
    • The machines are operated by outside companies and often do not work. It cannot be guaranteed that passport photos can be taken on site. We advise you to bring passport photos to the appointment.
  • for classes C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E:
    • Certificate of a visual examination according to Annex 6 No. 2 to the Ordinance on driving licences according to the prescribed model (not older than 2 years at the time of application)
    • Certificate of medical examination in accordance with Annex 5 to the Driving Licence Ordinance according to the prescribed model
    • Certificate of a supplementary medical examination in accordance with Annex 5 No. 2 to the Driving Licence Ordinance. The certificates on the medical examinations may not be older than one year at the time of application.
  • for categories AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, L or T:
    • Vision test certificate of an optician.
    • If the eye test is not passed, a certificate of an ophthalmological examination of the eyesight according to Annex 6 No. 1.2 of the Driving Licence Ordinance must be presented.
    • not older than 2 years
  • Proof of training in first aid
  • Name of the driving school with which the theoretical and practical driving test is to be taken