In order to transport passengers in an ambulance, cab or rental car, you must have a passenger transport license.
An additional permit (driver's license for passenger transport) is required by anyone who drives an ambulance if passengers are transported in the vehicle for pay or on a business basis, or anyone who drives a motor vehicle if passengers are transported in the vehicle and a permit is required for this transport under the Passenger Transport Act.
- Possession of the driver's license in credit card format ("EU driver's license")
- if necessary, the previous driver's license must first be exchanged for a card driver's license.
- In addition, an index card copy of the driver's license office that issued the current driver's license, if the driver's license was issued outside of Bremen before 1999.
- Minimum age: 21 years (for ambulances 19 years)
- Possession of a Class B driver's license (also from an EU/EEA country or a country listed in Annex 11 FeV) or a corresponding driver's license for at least two years (one year in the case of ambulances)
- Proof of physical and mental suitability
- personal reliability (no serious criminal record and/or traffic violations)
- If the permit is to be valid for cabs, rental cars and bundled on-demand transport - proof of professional competence. The proof can be provided by a certificate from a suitable body.
In Bremen, no suitable bodies have yet been designated for proof of specialist knowledge. Accordingly, applicants initially receive an exemption and must present proof of expert knowledge at the next renewal.
What documents do I need?
- Identity card or passport
- Proof of possession of an EU/EEA Class B driving licence or an Annex 11 state
Regarding Annex 11 FeV-State: see for the extent of this on the Internet at http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/fev_2010/anlage_11_120.html
- Certificate of good conduct for submission to authorities (document type O)
To ensure that the certificate of good conduct is already available on the day of the personal application, we recommend using the online procedure at the Federal Office of Justice. There you will find all further information and also the "Online application for certificate of good conduct". A final application can only be processed if the certificate of good conduct is available. If the certificate of good conduct is only applied for at a later date, processing will be delayed.
- For ambulances: proof of participation in first aid training
- medical and ophthalmological certificate in accordance with Annexes 5 and 6 of the Driving Licence Ordinance
There is an official form for these certificates, which is available to doctors. You can have the certificate issued by any doctor. At the time of application, the medical certificate may not be older than one year and the ophthalmological certificate may not be older than 2 years.
- Performance psychological assessment
Applicants for a driving licence for passenger transport (taxi / rental car) as well as applicants of classes D and D1 always require this certificate every time a driving licence is first issued.
From the age of 50, bus drivers of classes D and D1 require this certificate additionally with every renewal.
From the age of 60, holders of a driver's license for passenger transport (taxi / rental car) require this certificate additionally with every extension.
The performance psychology examination includes, for example, a review of the ability to work under pressure, reaction ability, orientation performance and concentration ability. Proof that you meet these special requirements is provided by a company or occupational medical report or by a report from an officially recognised assessment centre for fitness to drive.
- For taxis: Certificate of competence
- In addition, an index card copy from the driving licence office that issued the current driving licence, if the driving licence was issued outside Bremen before 1999