You are here:

Applying for a driving licence for the carriage of passengers

Due to the current situation, please see the Information on the Citizen's Bureau home page.

In order to carry passengers in an ambulance, taxi, or rental car, you must have a passenger-carrying license.

An additional permit (passenger transport licence) is required by anyone driving an ambulance if the vehicle is used for the transport of passengers for remuneration or business purposesor who drives a motor vehicle if passengers are transported in the vehicle and a permit is required for this transport in accordance with the Passenger Transport Act.


  • Possession of a driving licence in cheque card format ("EU driving licence")
  • if necessary, the previous driving licence must first be exchanged for a card driving licence.
  • If the driving licence was not issued in Bremen, a copy of the index card from the driving licence office which last issued a driving licence is required. The copy of the index card should not be older than six weeks.
  • Minimum age: 21 years (for ambulances 19 years)
  • Possession of a Class B driving licence (also from an EU/EEA country or a country listed in Annex 11 FeV) or a corresponding driving licence for at least two years (one year for ambulances).
  • Proof of physical and mental suitability
  • Personal reliability (no serious previous convictions and/or traffic violations)
  • If the permit is to apply to taxis, hire cars and bundled on-demand transport - proof of professional competence. The proof can be provided by a certificate from a suitable body.
    In Bremen, no suitable bodies have yet been designated to provide proof of specialist knowledge. Accordingly, applicants initially receive an exemption and must present proof of specialist knowledge at the next renewal.

What documents do I need?

  • Identity card or passport
  • Proof of possession of an EU/EEA Class B driving licence or an Annex 11 state

    Regarding Annex 11 FeV-State: see for the extent of this on the Internet at

  • Certificate of good conduct of document type O

    can be applied for at the driving licence authority

  • For ambulances: proof of participation in first aid training
  • medical and ophthalmological certificate in accordance with Annexes 5 and 6 of the Driving Licence Ordinance

    There is an official form for these certificates, which is available to doctors. You can have the certificate issued by any doctor. At the time of application, the medical certificate may not be older than one year and the ophthalmological certificate may not be older than 2 years.

  • Performance psychological assessment

    Applicants for a driving licence for passenger transport (taxi / rental car) as well as applicants of classes D and D1 always require this certificate every time a driving licence is first issued.

    From the age of 50, bus drivers of classes D and D1 require this certificate additionally with every renewal.

    From the age of 60, holders of a driver's license for passenger transport (taxi / rental car) require this certificate additionally with every extension.

    The performance psychology examination includes, for example, a review of the ability to work under pressure, reaction ability, orientation performance and concentration ability. Proof that you meet these special requirements is provided by a company or occupational medical report or by a report from an officially recognised assessment centre for fitness to drive.

  • For taxis: Certificate of competence