You are here:

Certificates of good standing in matters of vehicle taxation

If there is a tax debt in connection with a motor vehicle, you must settle it before registering another vehicle. In the case of short-term payments, you will receive a clearance certificate for submission to the registration office.

Since vehicle taxes in arrears cannot be "paid" at the vehicle registration office, it is important to settle them before going to the registration office. Only when the vehicle tax debt has been paid may the registration office release the vehicle for traffic. If the outstanding motor vehicle tax has been paid into the account of the main customs office at a bank at short notice, registration can only take place after presentation of a clearance certificate from the customs administration.


The prerequisite for the issue of a clearance certificate is the settlement of an existing vehicle tax debt.