You are here:

Consent of the father to the adoption of a child

If you want to give your child up for adoption and you are not married to the mother, you can refrain from filing a petition to transfer parental care to yourself after the child is born.

In order for a child to be given up for adoption, the consent of both parents is required. This consent can usually only be given eight weeks after the birth of the child.

If the mother is not married, you as the father, if you do not have custody, can give consent to the adoption even before the child is born. This consent must be notarized. Consent to adoption cannot be notarized at a youth welfare office.

In addition, the father can make a declaration that he will not apply for parental care of the child. This declaration supplementing the consent must be notarized "publicly." "Public" means that the declaration can also be notarized. However, the declaration can also be notarized (in this case free of charge) at a youth welfare office, for example.

Both when notarizing the consent to an adoption and when notarizing the declaration of relinquishment, you will be informed about the legal consequences and effects of the notarization before it is notarized.


You must be the father of the child. If paternity has not yet been legally established, you must be able to credibly prove that you are the child's father.
For example, the mother could confirm that only you can be considered as the child's father.

What documents do I need?

  • Proof of identity

    Identity must be proven for the certification. You must therefore be able to identify yourself with an ID card, passport or comparable documents.

  • Proof of paternity

    Birth certificate of the child, either with father's entry or father's acknowledgment plus mother's confirmation of paternity.