You are here:

Deregister your residence

If you move out of an apartment and do not move into a new apartment in Germany, you must deregister with the registration office.

The deregistration must take place

  • when moving abroad or
  • if a domestic dwelling (e.g. a secondary dwelling) is given up without moving into a new dwelling at the same time.

Deregistration is not required in the following cases:

  • Moving within Germany
    In this case, registration in the new municipality is sufficient. The new municipality notifies the former municipality of the move.
  • Giving up the previous main residence.
    As a result, the secondary residence becomes the sole residence.
  • in case of several secondary residences, one of the secondary residences becomes the new main residence. In this case, the registration office of the new main residence must be notified in writing of the change of main residence within one week. The registration office will then notify the registration office of the previous main residence and, if necessary, also the registration office of the secondary residences.


deregistration abroad

  • signed deregistration form
  • Proof of identity (identity card, passport or passport replacement)

deregistration of a secondary residence without moving into another, new residence in Germany

  • signed deregistration form
  • Proof of identity (identity card, passport or passport replacement)


  • An adult family member can deregister the entire family.
  • In the case of unmarried partners or shared flats, a separate deregistration form must be completed and signed for each person. If the deregistration is done by only one household member or another third person, this person must be authorized in writing.
  • Deregistration via the Internet is not possible.
  • The deregistration of the secondary residence can be done at the registration office responsible for the secondary residence as well as at the registration office responsible for the sole residence or the main residence.

In the case of a move to the rest of the Federal Republic, it is no longer necessary to deregister, as this is done automatically by registering with the registration office at the location of the new residence.

Important: This is a service under municipal responsibility. Therefore, you can only go to a service that is located at your place of residence.

What documents do I need?

  • Proof of identity

    e.g. old or invalid identity card, valid (child) passport or birth certificate in the case of infants or young children who do not yet have a (child) passport or identity card.

  • Form: Deregistration with a registration office