You are here:

Deregistering the vehicle (putting it out of service)

Due to nationwide regulations, the online portal for digital vehicle registrations (iKfz) had to be deactivated on January 1, 2024. The vehicle registration office does not currently offer online services. Work is currently underway to resume digital services. In the meantime, the analog services of the vehicle registration office are available to you. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If a vehicle is to be taken out of service, you as the vehicle owner must submit an application.

If the vehicle is to be recycled, you will receive a certificate of destruction from the collection point or the recycling company (dismantling company).

When a vehicle is taken out of service, the license plate is stamped and the tax and insurance obligation expires. The vehicle may no longer participate in public road traffic and therefore may not be parked in public areas.

The decommissioning can also be done online, provided that the vehicle was registered as of 01.01.2015 (see under "Further information").

Notes: If desired, the license plate for the vehicle can be reserved during the decommissioning process so that it can be reassigned if the vehicle is re-registered. It is also possible to reserve the license plate for the previous vehicle owner so that the license plate can be assigned to the vehicle owner's subsequent vehicle. The reservation requests can only be considered if they are named when the vehicle is taken out of service; the reservation is subject to a fee.
If the previous license plates are no longer in proper condition, the production of new license plates is required.

Return journeys after removal of the stamped plates may be made with the unstamped plates in the registration district shown on the plate and an adjacent district on the day of deregistration (decommissioning) until midnight at the latest. When doing so, the license plates must be attached to the vehicle. When driving, the shortest route - without detour - must be taken.

What documents do I need?

  • Registration certificate part I (formerly: vehicle registration document)
  • License plates

    for registered vehicles

  • proof of recovery, if applicable

    available from the recycler or the collection point

  • if applicable, a statement whether the vehicle was disposed of abroad

    or - for example as a classic car - is further used