Re-registration of a vehicle after it has been taken out of service to the same vehicle owner (without change of owner)
After a vehicle previously registered in Bremen has been taken out of service, the same vehicle owner can register the vehicle for himself again within 7 years.
With the entry into force of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV) on 01.03.2007, the responsibility within the registration procedure has changed from the "location principle" to the "place of residence principle". For private persons only the registration authority of the main residence is responsible. Registrations to a 2nd place of residence, including re-registrations, are not possible. In the case of legal entities, the company headquarters or a participating branch office in Bremen must be proven.
The registration of a motor vehicle can be done by the owner himself or by a person authorized in writing.
As of 01.10.2017, the re-registration of a vehicle without a change of owner is also possible online, provided that the previous registration took place as of 01.01.2015. Further information on "internet-based vehicle registration" is available on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (see under "i Where can I find out more?").
- For re-registration of the vehicle, proof of a valid main inspection must be provided by presenting the original inspection report.
- There must be no motor vehicle tax arrears (including ancillary tax payments, e.g. interest, late payment surcharges). Existing motor vehicle tax arrears must be paid prior to registration.
- There must be no administrative fees and expenses in arrears from previous registrations. Existing arrears must be paid before registration.
Important: This is a service under municipal jurisdiction. Therefore, you can only go to a service that is located in your place of residence.
What documents do I need?
- Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit
- in case of representation with written power of attorney
additionally: identity card or passport of the authorised representative
- electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
- valid test report on a general inspection
e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, GTS, FSP
- Registration certificate part I or vehicle registration document
- Registration certificate part II or old vehicle registration document
only necessary if another mark is to be assigned at the same time or if a change of name and/or technology is to be entered.
- License plates, if still available
Usage only possible with reservation in case of decommissioning (shutdown)
- Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
- if registered to companies
- Current and valid business registration and, if available, current and valid excerpt from the commercial register (also as a copy)
- Power of attorney, if the person authorized to dispose does not personally submit the application on site