You are here:

Re-registration without change of owner

Due to the current situation, please refer to the Information on the Citizens' Bureau home page.

Re-registration of a vehicle after a decommissioning to the same vehicle owner (without change of owner).

After a vehicle previously registered in Bremen has been taken out of service, the same vehicle owner can re-register the vehicle for himself within 7 years.

Special features:
With the entry into force of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV) on 01.03.2007, the responsibility within the registration procedure has changed from the "location principle" to the "residence principle". For private persons, only the registration authority of the main residence is responsible. Admissions to a 2nd residence, even re-admissions, are not possible. In the case of legal entities, proof of the company headquarters or a participating branch in Bremen must be provided.

The registration of a motor vehicle can be carried out by the owner himself or by a person authorised in writing.

From 01.10.2017, the re-registration of a vehicle without a change of owner is also possible online, provided that the previous registration was made from 01.01.2015. Further information on "Internet-based vehicle registration" is available on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (see "i Where can I find out more?").


  • For a re-registration of the vehicle a valid general inspection must be proven by presenting the original test report.
  • There must be no vehicle tax arrears (including additional tax payments such as interest, late payment surcharges). Existing vehicle tax arrears must be settled before registration.
  • There must be no outstanding administrative fees and expenses from previous registrations. Existing residues must be settled before approval is granted.

Important: This is a service provided by a local authority. You can therefore only visit an office that is located in your place of residence.

What documents do I need?

  • valid identity card or passport of the applicant vehicle owner
  • if registered to companies

    in addition:
    - business registration and, if available, extract from the commercial register (also as a copy)
    - power of attorney, if the person entitled to dispose of the property does not personally submit the application on site

  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    additionally: identity card or passport of the authorised representative

  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • valid test report on a general inspection


  • Registration certificate part I or vehicle registration document
  • Registration certificate part II or old vehicle registration document

    only necessary if another mark is to be assigned at the same time or if a change of name and/or technology is to be entered.

  • License plates, if still available

    Usage only possible with reservation in case of decommissioning (shutdown)

  • Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)