The re-registration must be applied for by submitting the necessary documents. The application can also be made by a representative (e.g. car dealer) with a written power of attorney.
The insurance company is automatically informed by the registration authority about the allocation of the registration plate.
Appointments can be reserved online at any time via www.service.bremen.de/dienststelle/termine or by telephone Mon-Fri from 07:00-18:00 on the following telephone numbers:
Motor Vehicle Registration Authority: (0421) 361-88668 or (0421) 115.
Citizens' Service Centre North: (0421) 361-88644 or (0421) 115
New licence plates can be produced during the registration process. Private providers have set up near the registration authorities for this purpose. The cost of the plates is not included in the fees. The licence plates are stamped by the registration authority, i.e. provided with stickers for the main inspection and the registration district.
- § 13 Kraftfahrzeugsteuergesetz (KraftStG)
- § 6a Abs. 8 Straßenverkehrsgesetz (StVG) iVm § 1 Gesetz zur Beitreibung von Gebühren- und Auslagenrückständen bei der Zulassung von Fahrzeugen im Land Bremen (Beitreibungserleichterungsgesetz Kfz-Zulassung – BEG HB)
- § 6 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV) (Antrag auf Zulassung)
- Gebührenordnung für Maßnahmen im Straßenverkehr (GebOSt)
- Beitreibungserleichterungsgesetz Kfz-Zulassung (BEG HB)
Re-registration to the last registration plate shown in the vehicle documents is only possible if the reservation of the registration plate was requested when the vehicle was immobilised.
On 1 July 2010, an amendment to the Motor Vehicle Tax Act came into force. The following changes apply to registrations from 1 July 2010:
- When a vehicle is registered, a SEPA Direct Debit Mandate is required for the collection of vehicle tax
- a SEPA Direct Debit Mandate issued for initial taxation is also valid for subsequent years.
- Motor vehicle tax exemption or reduction due to severe disability:
-Severely disabled persons with the mark "H", "BI" or "aG" in their severely disabled pass are still exempt from motor vehicle tax. They do not have to submit a direct debit authorization because of the proof in their ID. Further information can be obtained from the main customs office in Bremen.
Electronic confirmation of insurance (eVB):
You can obtain the confirmation of insurance for motor vehicle liability insurance from the insurance company of your choice. In most cases, you can request the insurance confirmation by telephone from your insurance company.
Since 1 March 2008, the insurer has been able to provide you with an insurance confirmation with a 7-digit alphanumeric VB number, which the registration authority uses to retrieve the insurance data electronically from the central database of the German Insurance Association.
Power of attorney
A power of attorney should expediently include that the authorised representative is entitled to clarify any arrears of fees and/or vehicle tax arrears .