You are here:
  • Rebrand


A change of registration (allocation of a new registration plate) must be carried out if the previous registration plate(s) has/have been stolen or otherwise lost.

It can also be carried out upon request.

In case of theft or loss of one or both license plates, a change of license plate is mandatory for security reasons. In these cases, it is not possible to have a replacement plate stamped. The stolen or lost license plates will be blocked for ten years.
In the event of theft of one or both registration plates, prior filing of a criminal complaint with the police is required. The registration number must be presented to the vehicle registration office when applying for a new license plate.
If registration plates have only been damaged but are still complete, new replacement registration plates can be embossed. In this case, a new registration number is not required.
A change of registration number can also be applied for at any time without giving reasons if there is a desire for a different registration number. In this case, the previous license plates must be presented along with the vehicle documents.
Special features:
With the entry into force of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance (FZV) on 01.03.2007, the responsibility within the registration procedure has changed from the "location principle" to the "place of residence principle". For private persons only the registration authority of the main residence is responsible. Registrations to a 2nd place of residence, including re-registrations, are no longer possible. In the case of legal entities, proof of the company's registered office or a participating branch in Bremen must be provided.


  • For a vehicle to be re-registered, proof of a valid main inspection must be provided by presenting the original inspection report.
  • There must be no arrears of administrative fees and expenses from previous registrations. Any existing arrears must be paid before registration.
  • There must be no motor vehicle tax arrears (including ancillary tax payments, e.g. interest, late fees). Existing motor vehicle tax arrears must be paid before registration.

Welche Unterlagen benötige ich?

  • Registration certificate part I or vehicle registration document
  • valid test report on a general inspection


  • Registration certificate part II or old vehicle registration document
  • if registered to companies

    - Current and valid business registration and, if available, current and valid excerpt from the commercial register (also as a copy)
    - Power of attorney, if the person authorized to dispose does not personally submit the application on site

  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    additionally: identity card or passport of the authorised representative

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit
  • Remaining license plate, if applicable
  • for loss of registration number

    additional written declaration of loss

  • in the event of license plate theft

    additionally registration number of the police

The change of registration must be applied for by submitting the necessary documents. The application can also be submitted by a representative (e.g. car dealer) with a written power of attorney.

The insurance company will be automatically informed by the registration authority about the allocation of the new license plate.

Appointments can be reserved online at any time via or by telephone Mon-Fri from 07:00-18:00 on the following telephone numbers:

Vehicle Registration Authority: (0421) 361-88668 or (0421) 115.

Citizens Service Center-North: (0421) 361-88644 or (0421) 115

License plates can be made during the registration process. Private providers have set up near the registration authorities for this purpose. The cost of the plates is not included in the fees. The license plates are stamped by the registration authority, i.e. provided with stickers for the main inspection and the registration district.


Weitere Hinweise

Power of Attorney:

A power of attorney should appropriately include that the agent is authorized to clear any fee arrears and/or motor vehicle tax arrears.

Welche Gebühren/Kosten fallen an?

28,20 EUR Additional fees may apply in individual cases.