You are here:

Red license plate (dealer license plate)

The red license plate is intended for dealers (e.g. vehicle manufacturers, dealers, workshops) for test, inspection and transfer journeys of otherwise unregistered vehicles. The license plate number, which is not permanently assigned to a vehicle, always begins with "06". Multiple use is also possible.

The red license plate must be used with the special vehicle registration booklet.

The license plate entitles the holder to the following journeys:

  • Test drives:
    Journeys to determine and prove the serviceability of the vehicle (§ 2 No. 23 FZV)
  • Test journeys:
    Journeys to test the vehicle by an officially recognized expert or examiner for motor vehicle traffic or test engineer of an officially recognized monitoring organization including the journey of the vehicle to the test location and back (§ 2 No. 24 FZV).
  • Transfer journeys:
    Journeys to transfer the vehicle to another location (§ 2 No. 25 FZV).

Journeys for other purposes are not permitted with this license plate!

Important: The decommissioning of red license plates (dealer license plates) is only possible in the registration authority that made the allocation.


  • Reliability of the applicant, to be proven as a rule by:
    - Information from the Federal Central Register (certificate of good conduct)
    - Information from the Central Trade Register
    - Information from the Central Traffic Register at the Federal Motor Transport Authority
  • registered motor vehicle-related business operation
  • Proof of the need for red license plates for dealers
  • There must be no arrears of fees and expenses from previous registration processes. In the event of arrears, the registration authority may not issue the license plate until these have been settled.

What documents do I need?

  • Business registration
  • for legal entities:

    - excerpt from the commercial register and identity card of all managing directors or authorized signatories

  • in case of representation with written power of attorney

    additionally: identity card or passport of the authorised representative

  • electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
  • Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
  • written explanations of needs
  • Proof(s) of the application for access to the register

    - Information from the Federal Central Register (certificate of good conduct type O)
    - Information from the Central Trade Register

  • Valid identity card, passport or electronic residence permit (eAT) as well as the original national passport of the vehicle owner applying for the permit