Due to the current situation, please see the information on the front page of the Citizen's Bureau.
If you want to put a vehicle into operation on public roads, it must be registered.
Approval shall be granted if the vehicle conforms to an approved type or if an individual approval is granted. A registration plate is allocated, the registration certificate is issued and the registration plates are stamped.
From 01.10.2019, the new registration of a vehicle is also possible online under certain conditions. Further information on "internet-based vehicle registration" is available on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (see "i Where can I find out more?").
- no fees and expenses in arrears from previous registration processes.
In the event of payment arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
- No motor vehicle tax arrears (including ancillary tax payments, e.g. interest, late payment surcharges).
The vehicle tax accounts are checked by the registration office as part of the processing of the registration application. In the event of tax arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
- Written direct debit authorisation for the collection of vehicle tax
- Registration only at the main residence of the owner
Proof of the right of disposal of the vehicle owner to be registered:
- in the case of first-time registration of vehicles with EC type approval:
- the registration certificate Part II and
- the certificate of conformity (COC paper)
- for the first-time registration of vehicles with national type approval:
- the registration certificate Part II with registered type and variant/version key number in accordance with § 20 Para. 3 Sentence 6 StVZO or
- data confirmation in accordance with § 20 Para. 3.a Sentence 1 StVZO
- in the case of vehicles with EC type approval (EC certificate of conformity = COC paper) or with national type approval (ABE = general operating permit) or with individual approval or an expert opinion in accordance with § 21 StVZO from an officially recognised expert for motor vehicle traffic, for which no registration certificate Part II or vehicle registration document has been completed to date, in addition:
- the purchase contract or the original invoice as well as
- if applicable, the customs receipt/customs clearance certificate, provided there is no intra-Community acquisition (i.e. in the case of import from a non-EU state).
What documents do I need?
- valid identity card or passport of the applicant vehicle owner
- if registered to companies
- business registration and, if available, extract from the commercial register (also as a copy)
- power of attorney, if the person entitled to dispose of the property does not personally submit the application on site
- in case of representation with written power of attorney
additionally: identity card or passport of the authorised representative
- Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
- Proof of the authorisation of the vehicle owner to be registered
Information on the documents required for the initial registration of vehicles with
- EC type approval
- National type approval
please refer to the service description "Registering a motor vehicle" under "Requirements".
- electronic insurance confirmation (eVB)
- if necessary, confirmation of reservation for the desired license plate