Registering a new motor vehicle (without changing the owner and WITHOUT taking the registration number with you)
Because of the current situation, please note the Information on the homepage of the Bürgeramt.
After a move or, for example, a business relocation to Bremen, you must re-register your vehicle and can apply for a new license plate.
The request may be made in person. A representative with written power of attorney may also be appointed.
From 01.10.2019, the new registration of a vehicle is also possible online under certain conditions. Further information on "internet-based vehicle registration" is available on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (see "i Where can I find out more?").
New vehicle documents have been available since 1 October 2005. These are the registration certificate part I (old: vehicle registration document) and part II (old: vehicle title). These are uniformly designed in the European Union (EU). If there is already a registration certificate Part II (previously: vehicle registration document) and there is still space for the registration, the change is made in it.
If the new registration certificates have not yet been issued, they will be issued in this context, even if a further keeper entry in the old papers would be possible. In any case, a new registration certificate Part I (previously: vehicle registration document) will be issued.
The owner must already have registered or changed his registration in Bremen.
- no outstanding fees and expenses from previous admission procedures.
In case of payment arrears, the registration authority may not register the vehicle until these have been settled.
- no vehicle tax arrears (including additional tax payments such as interest, late payment surcharges).
The vehicle tax accounts are checked by the registration office as part of the processing of the registration application. In the case of tax arrears, the registration office may not register the vehicle until these have been paid.
- Written direct debit authorization for the collection of the vehicle tax
Important: This is a service provided by a local authority. Therefore, you can only visit an office that is located in your place of residence.
What documents do I need?
- valid identity card or passport of the applicant vehicle owner
- if registered to companies
- business registration and, if available, extract from the commercial register (also as a copy)
- power of attorney, if the person entitled to dispose of the property does not personally submit the application on site
- in case of representation with written power of attorney
additionally: identity card or passport of the authorised representative
- Registration certificate part I (formerly: vehicle registration document)
- Registration certificate part II (formerly: vehicle registration document)
If the ZB II is in the possession of a third party, it must be sent to the licensing authority. Only when the document is available to the authority can the change be made.
After completion, the document is returned to the sender.
- Direct debit authorisation for motor vehicle tax (SEPA Direct Debit Mandate)
- valid test report on a general inspection
e.g. TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ, KÜS, GTS, FSP
- external licence plates
in the case of registered vehicles which are not registered in Bremen or Bremerhaven at the time of their registration there