You are here:

Request help for upbringing in full-time care

If you cannot ensure that your child is doing well in your home, then your child may live in foster care temporarily or for a longer period of time.

Help with education in full-time care means that your child lives with another family and is cared for there. Which foster family your child lives with and for how long depends on this, for example:

  • Age of the child
  • the stage of development of your child
  • the bonds of your child
  • Possibilities of improving the conditions of upbringing in your home

The foster parents are selected by the Youth Welfare Office together with you.
Only suitable persons can become foster parents and take in your child.
Relatives (e.g. grandparents) can also be foster parents.
The help for upbringing in full-time care can be temporary or permanent. It is a type of assistance for upbringing. It can also apply to young adults.


  • You are a parent or guardian for a child (the custodial person).
  • You do not manage to care for and raise the child in a way that is good for the child.
  • The help for upbringing in full-time care is suitable and necessary.

What documents do I need?

  • identity card/passport

    If a German identity card/passport is to be authenticated, a written proof of what this authentication is required for must be brought along.

  • Proof of custody

    For example: birth certificate, information from the custody register or decision of the family court on custody.